Shutter Asia Forum

Shutter Asia Forum (http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit-Chat & Off-Topic (http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Been to Tioman? (http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43345)

TMike 09-25-2010 09:04 AM

Been to Tioman?

Anyone been to tioman?
Care to share ur experience?
Thanks!:)

ShaolinTiger 09-28-2010 02:20 PM

Yah many many times, what you want to know?

bry 06-23-2011 07:01 PM

Looks like TMIke is no longer with us. Shaolin, are you still around? Love to hear how you found Tioman and if you're going back there regularly/soon. (We're going in 2 weeks, staying a long weekend; lotsa pix to shoot).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers.

ShaolinTiger 06-24-2011 04:56 PM

It's good for diving, not a great holiday place (apart from Berjaya).

Dive spots are nice, but quite far apart (about 45 mins boat ride between each) so expect to be out on the boat the whole day.

bry 06-27-2011 08:46 AM

Thanks ST.

Yes, the diving can be good, I was there before and had some good vis and some good size fauna.

Not sure what you mean by "not a great holiday place". Do you mean there's not much there in terms of stoning by the beach, lazing in the resort, quality service, that sorta thing?

I was at Berjaya, but even though the buffet spread is not bad, I was underwhelmed at the place, given the price tag of the stay, in particular in view of the state of the chalets; they're looking a bit long in the tooth.

Perhaps Tioman is gearing itself more toward a young-ish audience, young couples and weekend warrior-type scuba aficionados, but not really the more luxury demanding families-with-kids demographic.

You think?

ShaolinTiger 06-30-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bry (Post 416748)
Thanks ST.

Yes, the diving can be good, I was there before and had some good vis and some good size fauna.

Not sure what you mean by "not a great holiday place". Do you mean there's not much there in terms of stoning by the beach, lazing in the resort, quality service, that sorta thing?

I was at Berjaya, but even though the buffet spread is not bad, I was underwhelmed at the place, given the price tag of the stay, in particular in view of the state of the chalets; they're looking a bit long in the tooth.

Perhaps Tioman is gearing itself more toward a young-ish audience, young couples and weekend warrior-type scuba aficionados, but not really the more luxury demanding families-with-kids demographic.

You think?

Yah basically, it's not a holiday kind of place really - if you're not a diver it could be kinda boring (beaches not that great, not many places to hang out, no activities, only a couple of bars in the Salang area).

And yah even Berjaya there isn't great, much prefer Redang/Perhentian tbh for a beach type holiday with good dive spots too.

Tioman is definitely more towards young-ish audience, hardcore divers, budget travellers etc.

bry 07-04-2011 07:28 AM

A few times I've sailed by some of the other Seri Buat Archipelago islands; they look to me like they must be awesome scuba diving spots, especially the Seri Buat/Sembilan twosome.

If you look at the Google Maps piccie of them, you'll see an unreal gully that seems absolutely made for exploration. I hear the island is haunted, which makes for even more appeal in my view.

Have you ever tried diving Seri Buat? Or any of the lesser known islands, like Mensrip or Tengah?

alexlim 06-10-2013 11:04 PM

havnt been there... but learning alot here