Shutter Asia Forum

Shutter Asia Forum (http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Buy or Sell at Shutter Asia (http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Mass Order: Nexto Extreme Portable HDD (latest & fastest) (http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23202)

astroboy 12-01-2008 07:14 PM

Mass Order: Nexto Extreme Portable HDD (latest & fastest)

http://www.awarna.com/test_images/nexto_extreme.jpg

With the launch of Canon 5DMkII and Nikon D3x with 50MB RAW files, the need for speed is more urgent now than ever before! You can't afford to let photo opportunities fly by or keep clients waiting while you download your CF cards.

Recently I came across some great pricing on NEXTO Extreme portable hard disks. They are the FASTEST hard disks available on the market today and they can be used BOTH to backup your CF cards and as an external backup disk for your computer. The NEXTO is only slightly larger than a pack of playing cards and is convenient for travel.

Brand: NEXTO Extreme
Model: ND-2700
Colour of casing: Gold colour only
Country of Origin: Korea

FEATURES:
- World's fastest backup speed! 6 times faster than other image backup devices
- Backup 1GB CF cards in 40 seconds
- Using Internal SATA HDD
- USB 2.0 / eSATA Interface
- Self Check Function for HDD and Memory Card
- Support most memory cards (CF Type 1,2 / MD/ SD / SDHC / MMC / MMC Plus / xD / MS / MS MagicGate / MS Pro / MS Pro MagicGate)
- NEXTO eXtreme supports 2.5" SATA HDD with the maximum capacity of 2,000GB.
- Update backup function to copy only newer files

PRICE:
Nexto Extreme ND-2700 w/160GB HDD - RM690
Nexto Extreme ND-2700 w/250GB HDD - RM720
Nexto Extreme ND-2700 w/320GB HDD - RM750
Nexto Extreme ND-2700 w/400GB HDD - RM860
Nexto Extreme ND-2700 w/500GB HDD - RM920

i) Comes with HDD already installed, formatted and fully-charged for your convenience, ready to use when you get it.
ii) Hard disk brand is Western Digital with local Malaysian warranty for 3 years.
iii) All are the latest and fastest SATA HDD

To participate in this Mass Order, I only need you to pay me RM50 as earnest deposit. The balance you pay me upon self-collection at Mont Kiara area in KL.

For those staying outside KL, you will have to bear additional charges for PosLaju delivery.

PM me for bank acct details.

----------

Want to know how much others are charging? Check here:
M'sian website: Shashinki.com

US website: MyDigitalDiscount.com

ShaolinTiger 12-01-2008 08:52 PM

Just to vouch, I'm using NEXTO CF Ultra ND-2525 Pro and it's superb, fastest on the market when I had it and one of the only ones that does CF verify after copying (a MUST have for me).

The firewire is super fast too, excellent piece of kit especially for those who travel.

Build quality is solid too.

astroboy 12-03-2008 01:09 AM

User Experience

As a user of the Nexto Extreme myself, thought I should share some personal user experience.

1. The Nexto is basically plug-and-play on my Apple notebook PC (should be similar for other PC users). However, I find that the Nexto icon takes a few seconds longer to appear (boot up) compared to my older Digimate. This could be the higher capacity HDD I am using (320GB) compared to my Digimate 210GB HDD. So be patient.

2. I have two USB ports on my iBook and I can plug in my older Digimate and the Nexto and transfer files between 3 HDD, that is:
My notebook HDD <---> Digimate HDD <---> Nexto HDD.

3. The Nexto heats up after prolonged usage (eg when transferring files into the HDD continuously) so I would advise you to touch the Nexto once in awhile to check and let it rest after awhile if it feels too hot. This is not abnormal as there is no built-in fan inside the casing (as compared to larger HDD casing). My workaround solution is to switch off the Nexto after awhile, do other tasks and then go back to working on it. This is for HUGE file transfers.

4. Something else I just discovered lately. I was transferring files from my CF card when it hanged, turns out that the unit was low on power. There is no POWER OFF button, so I just left it in a "hanged" state until it shut off by itself as I was rushing to board a plane. The lesson learnt here is NOT to operate the unit if it's low on power.

-------------------------------

Thanks ST. I am personally using one myself that's why i am recommending it to others. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger (Post 214296)
Just to vouch, I'm using NEXTO CF Ultra ND-2525 Pro and it's superb, fastest on the market when I had it and one of the only ones that does CF verify after copying (a MUST have for me).

The firewire is super fast too, excellent piece of kit especially for those who travel.

Build quality is solid too.

gamaton_doc 12-03-2008 02:50 AM

Western Digital NOT Recommended

I am interested BUT....

Referring to the official web site as referred by your posting,
There is a Notice re: Hard Drive for the Nexto Extreme....
And what do you know !!! Western Digital hard drive NOT recommended..

Can you consider other brand of Hard drive for this M.O. ??

See extract from the website below:

Following is the list of prefered hard drive in order.
1. Any Hitachi or Toshiba 2.5' hard drive
2. Any Fujitsu 2.5' hard drive
3. Any SAMSUNG 2.5' hard drive.(SAMSUNG hard drive should not be used with Nexto Video Storage)
4. Any Seagate 2.5' hard drive.
5. WesternDIgital hard drive is not recommended.

astroboy 12-03-2008 03:14 AM

Some of these recommendations are based on business relationships but I see your point.

Unfortunately, in Malaysia, other than WD, there are limited choices when it comes to SATA HDD.

From what I know, Samsung offers a 160GB HDD and Seagate offers 160/250/320 GB. Those are your choices, let me know. Pricing differs slightly, not much. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamaton_doc (Post 214905)
I am interested BUT....

Referring to the official web site as referred by your posting,
There is a Notice re: Hard Drive for the Nexto Extreme....
And what do you know !!! Western Digital hard drive NOT recommended..

Can you consider other brand of Hard drive for this M.O. ??

See extract from the website below:

Following is the list of prefered hard drive in order.
1. Any Hitachi or Toshiba 2.5' hard drive
2. Any Fujitsu 2.5' hard drive
3. Any SAMSUNG 2.5' hard drive.(SAMSUNG hard drive should not be used with Nexto Video Storage)
4. Any Seagate 2.5' hard drive.
5. WesternDIgital hard drive is not recommended.

bodyshots 12-05-2008 03:25 AM

Is there an option w/o the hardisk?

Another strange thing I noticed.. the 2700 is supposed to be newer version compared to the 2525, but Shashinki's 2525 price is higher. Any ideas why?

Ok, checked one other online retail site and same thing.. 2525 is priced higher. I think it's due to the support of firewire.

Other than that, the 2700 is the latest n greatest!

resshin 12-05-2008 10:38 AM

options for no hd?

astroboy 12-05-2008 01:03 PM

Yes. But i think Fiirewire may be losing support in the industry. Even Apple (creator of FW) is not incorporating FW ports in their latest laptops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodyshots (Post 215987)
Ok, checked one other online retail site and same thing.. 2525 is priced higher. I think it's due to the support of firewire.
Other than that, the 2700 is the latest n greatest!

Okay, will look into that option... let u know later. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by resshin (Post 216084)
options for no hd?

bodyshots 12-06-2008 01:56 PM

If I use the Nexto as a regular external HDD, do I still need to power it with batteries? Or can I have the battery removed (is it removable?) and power it solely via the USB interface?

astroboy 12-06-2008 04:48 PM

1. Nexto comes with BUILT-IN rechargeable batts (power cable supplied). On a full charge, it should last a few days.

2. Charging via USB is also possible so when it's connected to the notebook, it would be drawing power from there (provided yours is the newer type of notebook that provides enough current).

3. Rechargeable batts are built-in and I am not sure if it can be removed by yourself, but why would you want to do that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodyshots (Post 216540)
If I use the Nexto as a regular external HDD, do I still need to power it with batteries? Or can I have the battery removed (is it removable?) and power it solely via the USB interface?