Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Gear & Technique > Film Corner
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Shutter Starter

Question Low light & Compact

Hello every one. This is my first posts. Just wanted to say hi. I am actually gearing up to FILM underwater, however there was not a section for that... however the focus of my question is having a good camera with great low light.

I need a set up which is not going to break the Bank. I have been won over by the Sony Rx-100. Its a compact camera but it has a 20mp sensor. The lens which it has on there has an aperture of 1.4.

Ok so now I played with it in the store, and the aperture does not give the same depth of field as my 550 and 55mm fixed focal 1.4... however the Sony Rx-100 is quite impressive for such a small camera. All controls can be manually adjusted as you film, including the focus, which is controlled by a focus ring around the lens.

Ok well this is starting to sound just like an endorsement. My 550d deals terribly in low light... just awful. Looses all definition, becomes grainy. So, I feel I need some what of a low budget upgrade, which deals well in low light.

I want to be filming under water... with a complete set up of no more than $1900. Which leaves about $700 for the camera. So is this a good purchase for a filmer? I know its less than ideal, but as far a compering to purpose build video cameras of equivalent prices. Naturally I want a 5d Mark III... don't we all... but for now, I just need a camera which is going to film well in low light.

Any thoughts welcomed.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Shutter Starter

Hey, thanks for the feed back. I feel like I am just about set on the Sony... for my price range I think its about the best bet.

What have you got against the 5dIII? You think it is over hyped?

harrison
Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Shutter Starter

Point taken. I just have found its ability to deal with low light astonishing. I just wish that there was something affordable which came close to its low light capabilities. I primarily want to use it for video. I have been taken back by black magic's new portable camera though.