Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Shutter Asia Others > Chit-Chat & Off-Topic
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 08-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Shutter Council

Tips for wedding photographers - by Alicia

Handy tips for wedding photographers

I may not be a wedding photographer but, this is what I shared to someone some time ago to aid his wedding photography career. I’m not good in writing so I hope what I’m sharing here will be a good read. BTW, I know this should be accompanied by printscreens.. I'm too lazy lah!

Items to pay attention to for wedding photographers:

1. Composition
Get the basics right. Rule of third, break the rules (as long as it works). If you do not know the idea of composition, go Google. There are plenty of articles on composition available on the net.

2. Touching up
This is my favorite topic.
• Remove blemishes, smoothen skin
You may use spot healing brush or clone stamp to fix this.
• CS5 Liquify Technique
The Liquify Technique is useful. Brides do not want to look ugly in their wedding pictures. Don’t get me wrong. They do not want to look very different from their physical appearance too.

Just aim to remove flabby parts. You can even enlarge the eyes (just a lil) if it is necessary.

Make sure it is not overdone and the bride will be pleased looking at their pictures.

PS. Most girls don’t like having large arms. Take more attention to it.

I’m aware that some of you may not like the owner of this website. But, you can consider visiting xiaxue.com and see how she always photoshop her own pictures. (this is just for you to get an idea)
• High pass filter sharpening
I like using this technique. Click Ctrl+J to duplicate a layer. Set it to overlay and go to filter -> high pass filter

The opacity of high pass filter can be adjusted accordingly. You can opt to manually mask out areas you do not want to be sharpened.
• Shadow highlight
Using this method will allow details of the gown / other objects to be more visible. Do not overuse.

3. Portfolio
• Recognition
If you have been shooting for a while, have recognition, having pictures published in newspapers, don’t be shy publishing it in your website. Make sure the message is going to be known by many and is up to date.

Be prepared to also provide hardcopy portfolio eg. clear folder / booklet on your achievements. This will be useful when meeting up clients.

• Before and after
Often, customers / clients may ask questions like “can I convert a picture to somewhat like sephia / BW / sharp at the subject then blur background (bokeh) / etc …?”

You may fill in the questions with portfolio of a few sets of pictures of before and after effects. Each set should have eg. 1 color, 1 BW, 1 Sephia, 1 after touching up blemishes / liquify.
Popular & Interesting

Last edited by alicialph; 08-13-2010 at 08:28 AM..
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to alicialph For This Useful Post:
acidict (08-13-2010), alfredlim (09-23-2010), EddieWong (08-13-2010), hanuman (08-14-2010), hotdrive (08-15-2010), J.S.Ng (09-23-2010), Lights (09-23-2010), lixin (08-18-2010), Mavik (08-17-2010), ND40 (08-13-2010), Untung (08-13-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Shutter Fan

Tip#1

Be humble too.

Nice write up~!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Shuttertastic

alicia, i din know u shoot weddings.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Shutterfreak

Tenkiu for the tips!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 02:04 AM
Shuttertastic

most importance is ... what ever you do DONT GET PANIC

Try MSN me for more info MSN : mitmivec@gmail.com or call me at 012 2937123 Click me to get a Quote
try not to sms i might not have time to reply as i got work to do call me if urgent and pm me
Old 09-23-2010, 01:37 AM
New Shutter User

nice topic