Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Gear & Technique > Philosophy & Technique of Photography
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 10-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Shutter Starter

So Pissed! Should i give them photos?

A friend of mine is working in a wedding planning company ask me to take photograph for their company’s opening as a sponsor to them for FREE so I agreed because my friend ask me to but on that day as I’m alone taking photos for 2 floors was busy and I’ve overlook, did not take photos of the flower stands the boss called me the next day bombarded me because I didn’t take photos of her flowers stand and then scolded my friend cause ask me to sponsor… haiz~

One man taking photos of 2 floors was busy so I missed those flower stands is my fault but at least appreciate that I’m doing it (sponsor) FREE leh …

Hey come on! I woke up earlier than a usual sacrifice a saturday doing it as a sponsor aka. FREE leh

Not even saying ‘thank you’… so pissed!

Should I even give them the photos I taken?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Shutterfreak

Be professional, pass the photos to your friend and let him decide.

If you were to keep the photos, he could get fired.

If he passes up the photos and, the boss might feel embarrased and (maybe) apologise for being so 'over the top'.

When we spend more time on making money, we seldom have time realising our hobby

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43716731@N06/
The Following User Says Thank You to Untung For This Useful Post:
mujib (10-21-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Shuttertastic

I agree with Untung arguments.....But i never hear before a wedding planner company without any professional photographer attached to it's...OR all Former inhouse Photographer had suffer the fate as same as u???..
Thanks for sharing...I already give up "FOC photography service business".......
Old 10-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Shutter God

Well you have to look at this from both sides.

1) The 'client' side

It doesn't matter if it's free or paid, that's your choice - the delivery and professional service should be the same. People often use shooting for 'free' as an excuse to give poor or lesser service and try and get out of being responsible for the delivered results. This is not the case, even if you shoot for free you should manage the client expectations and deliver exactly what they are expecting or more.

2) The 'photographer' side

You shot for free so you think you don't really owe them anything, they didn't pay you so why do they deserve anything? If they wanna complain fine, screw them I won't give them anything. If they want the pics at all they are gonna have to pay - ungrateful b*stards!

Depends which side is stronger in you, and if you value an ongoing relationship with the company and your friend.

For me seen as though you've already invested the time and taken the pics, you hand the pics over because honestly they have no commercial value and it's not like you can sell them elsewhere to get some money back. But you'll save your friends arse and perhaps the boss will look kindly upon you in the future.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ShaolinTiger For This Useful Post:
ClouDx (11-12-2010), gshot (11-02-2010), izso (11-22-2010), JoeChia (10-22-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Shutter Starter

'People often use shooting for 'free' as an excuse to give poor or lesser service'
well client expectation is always over the hills they pay u few hundred for an event photograph and expect a 10k profesional photography a big team of people taking photographs that comes with very nicely done design photoshop every picture make them thin and pretty and a nice video slideshow to go with it?

just pass the photo to my friend let her decide and didn't want anything to do with them no more being such unreasonable client even if they offer any job it'll be hell to take them anyway ...
Old 10-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Shuttertastic

This is a good lesson for all:
NEVER SHOOT FOR FREE.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to astroboy For This Useful Post:
AdrianLoke (11-11-2010), lixin (11-01-2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 12:26 PM
New Shutter User

If I was you, i would kindly tell the boss that you are very sorry for not meeting her expectations and would like to withdraw the sponsorship.

I would also tell her that even if i'm been paid earlier, I would have returned the money and kept the photos just not to deliver substandard products. So, as this is free, i would just keep the photos.

hehe Ungrateful people need to suffer....
Old 10-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Shutter Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
This is a good lesson for all:
NEVER SHOOT FOR FREE.

yah! i agree...

thanks! everyone for all comments ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalaiAce View Post
If I was you, i would kindly tell the boss that you are very sorry for not meeting her expectations and would like to withdraw the sponsorship.

I would also tell her that even if i'm been paid earlier, I would have returned the money and kept the photos just not to deliver substandard products. So, as this is free, i would just keep the photos.

hehe Ungrateful people need to suffer....
hmm~ well guess i can't back up on my friend she keep saying sorry to me...
Old 11-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Shuttertastic

i think its always best to get expectations reaffirmed for any job (paid or un-paid). determine who the client is, and how they want to use the photos. that's what i learn so far in shooting at events. is its good to create a checklist of any special requirements or items or moments that they want captured. so that you can prove you have delivered what you promised and you can show for it. captured the requirements in written is the best.

Plus personally i think the only person who can make a complain for your poor execution(if any) should be the person who hired you...not his/her boss. but if you are answerable to the boss, then it comes down to having the checklist again, to save your butt.

also i try to clarify before shooting at events, when client or the person who hired you say 'you just shoot la... anything also can'.... this is another trap....HAHA.

From my undErstanding, theRE aRE no ruLEz... just REsults...
gregemmanuel.wordpress.com | Ma Flick

Last edited by gshot; 11-03-2010 at 12:38 PM..
Old 11-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Shutter Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshot View Post
i think its always best to get expectations reaffirmed for any job (paid or un-paid). determine who the client is, and how they want to use the photos. that's what i learn so far in shooting at events. is its good to create a checklist of any special requirements or items or moments that they want captured. so that you can prove you have delivered what you promised and you can show for it. captured the requirements in written is the best.

Plus personally i think the only person who can make a complain for your poor execution(if any) should be the person who hired you...not his/her boss. but if you are answerable to the boss, then it comes down to having the checklist again, to save your butt.

also i try to clarify before shooting at events, when client or the person who hired you say 'you just shoot la... anything also can'.... this is another trap....HAHA.
thanks for the advice... much appreciated...