Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Photography > Shutter Fix My Pic
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 09-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Shutter Starter

Wink HELP: How to take sharp and clear Potrait shoot?

Hi all,

I need your all professional advise and guidance for my problem.

How to take sharp and clear Potrait shoot?
It is due to any adjustment of F and S problem?
What is the suitable F, S , ISO for potrait?
Which mode most suitable for potrait? because normally i use A mode.
It is because of lens or camera setting, then make my photo not sharp?
I want the person face look sharp and clear, please help.

My gear:
Nikon D90
Nikkor VR G 18 - 105MM Kit Lens

Example of photos:

Thanks a lot.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Shuttertastic

Question 1: Focus the right place and Shake FREE!!

Question 2: As f number increased (higher f), it will increase the depth of focus, and have sharper picture. most of the lenses have sharpest f number @ 8-16.

Question 3: you need to define what you want.... more background??? less background? as f number goes higher, the depth of focus will increased..

Question 4: The mode that you comfortable with. Most of us will stay with A as we want to decide the DOF and let the camera do the job for shutter speed...

Question 5: I believed any gear that you used can produce sharp pictures. Maybe some post processing is needed. I do agree some expensive lens can produce sharper picture but if your basic is not strong enough, any lens will just the same to you at the end of the day...

Lastly, you shoot in raw or jpeg? Quality fine + largest file? It is always advised to shoot in raw!!

I had sharpen it a little in photoshop...but seem like no difference. Sorry that my skill not reach home yet..
DSC_0045copy.jpg
Old 09-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Shutter Demi-God

Why use ISO 500 in such broad day light?

The shutter speeds you used were 1/2000, and 1/3200....fast to enough to freeze most motion.

Both such high ISO and SS were a waste imho.

Did you shoot in RAW or JPG? Was the original images not sharp as well or you only the resized ones not sharp?

Those look reasonably sharp to be but of course a bit more sharpening will help....could use a bit more contrast too.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Shutter Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40 View Post
Question 1: Focus the right place and Shake FREE!!

Question 2: As f number increased (higher f), it will increase the depth of focus, and have sharper picture. most of the lenses have sharpest f number @ 8-16.

Question 3: you need to define what you want.... more background??? less background? as f number goes higher, the depth of focus will increased..

Question 4: The mode that you comfortable with. Most of us will stay with A as we want to decide the DOF and let the camera do the job for shutter speed...

Question 5: I believed any gear that you used can produce sharp pictures. Maybe some post processing is needed. I do agree some expensive lens can produce sharper picture but if your basic is not strong enough, any lens will just the same to you at the end of the day...

Lastly, you shoot in raw or jpeg? Quality fine + largest file? It is always advised to shoot in raw!!

I had sharpen it a little in photoshop...but seem like no difference. Sorry that my skill not reach home yet..
Attachment 56068
Thanks a lot for your advise.
I want backgroud more blur, so I adjust f to smaller but because my kit lens f is f3.5- f5.6,so once I zoom in to get person look bigger, f will increase automatically, make my background not enough blur. Any advise on this?

I used A mode, but the camera will auto adjust S speed, do we stil need monitor S speed again? In case the S speed is too fast or too slow.

These photo I shoot in both RAW and JPEG with fine format, so what is the reason we must use RAW format?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionmystery View Post
Why use ISO 500 in such broad day light?

The shutter speeds you used were 1/2000, and 1/3200....fast to enough to freeze most motion.

Both such high ISO and SS were a waste imho.

Did you shoot in RAW or JPG? Was the original images not sharp as well or you only the resized ones not sharp?

Those look reasonably sharp to be but of course a bit more sharpening will help....could use a bit more contrast too.
The S speed is auto generate by camera because I am using A mode, i also dont know why it adjust to such fast?

The ISO I also put auto ISO adjustment, it is correct?

I shoot in both RAW and JPEG format. Ya, the original image is not sharp and I just resized it.

Last edited by orionmystery; 09-28-2009 at 12:49 AM..
Old 09-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Shuttertastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleylsk View Post
Thanks a lot for your advise.
I want backgroud more blur, so I adjust f to smaller but because my kit lens f is f3.5- f5.6,so once I zoom in to get person look bigger, f will increase automatically, make my background not enough blur. Any advise on this?

I used A mode, but the camera will auto adjust S speed, do we stil need monitor S speed again? In case the S speed is too fast or too slow.

These photo I shoot in both RAW and JPEG with fine format, so what is the reason we must use RAW format?
why raw??? uhm... because
Quote:
jpeg capture 256 brightness level for each color (RGB). while raw have many more... 16,384 per channel is command.
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine

actually, you need more understanding on your gear. The more you zoom (tele or long end), you will get more background blur aka bokeh. Alternatively you need to reduce f-number which is larger aperture setting...

All gears have limitation. so you just got to work with it. If you want background blur with your kit lens, be selective on your background. The further the background, the more b/ground blur you get. Be familiar with your gears.

As the rule of thumb for S, we use 1/focal length X crop factor. For example, u zoom to max 105mm, 1/ 105mm X 1.5 (D90 is 1.5 crop) = 1/157.5.

u need about 1/160 or faster to eliminate the shake!! As for iso, it is better to stay as lowest as you can. Take more control of your camera, try to use iso200 as that is the lowest iso you can go for D90. Higher iso may cause picture to lost details and increase noise level.

by the way, you had double post. Try to use the multi-quote @ the bottom right. the one with "+ sign. So that you won't get infection from admin.

Last edited by ND40; 09-28-2009 at 12:59 AM..
Old 09-28-2009, 02:47 AM
New Shutter User

Other than the high ISO mentioned earlier, I find that the focus was already wrong in the first place. IMHO, this is the root cause of your problem.

For example in the first pic, the belt area of the girl seems more in focus than the eyes.

Pic 2 is not bad in terms of focus. Unfortunately the faces have dark shadow casts.

Attached are my quick fixed versions...

help-DSC_0045copy.jpg

By simply adjusting the curves for strong contrast, it boosts the mood of the image quite a bit. More importantly, it also removes the greyish colour cast that's apparent in the original.

help-DSC_0100copy.jpg

Same curves adjustment as the first pic. However, I applied some minor dodge to the faces (30px brush size, range: highlights, exposure 50%) to kill off some of the shadow casts.

All adjustments using Photoshop... but I'm sure there are similar tools in other decent photo editing software too.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 AM
Shutter Guardian

maybe you could just upload the original JPG file and let us see whether it's really not sharp or you're having unrealistic expectations.

from the photos so far, it looks reasonable.

one thing I noticed was your shot was taken at 105mm (EXIF data shows #
# Focal Length in 35mm Film = 157)

I'm not sure about the 18-105VR but maybe you should go to say somewhere within your 50mm to 80mm range of the lens to get better sharpness. Lenses are often soft at the longest zoom point.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Shutterfreak

focus: on eye (that is closer to camera if person looking side ways).
f-stop as discussed already, 5,6-8 should get sharpest results
use tele to get more blur in background and:
- go closer to person...as in tip-tap-toe...just go closer...
- put bigger distance between background and person...
Old 09-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Shutter God

Shoot at around 70mm, f/8, make sure focus point is on the eyes, use ISO200, don't shoot into the sun if you don't know how to control flare.

Make sure your front element/back element and filter is clean.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Shutter Fan

Question : If I want really super blur bokeh background (F1.8), how then would I take a portrait shot that's sharp enough?