Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Photography > Black and White Images
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 09-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Shuttertastic

First B&W Film

One of the pics from my virgin roll of B&W film

starter.jpg

I'm so glad I finally nailed it, after like 3-4 times of failure due to incorrectly loading the film! Confirmed film virgin

I'm trying B&W film to see the difference between film and digital B&W. A friend has told me before digital B&W still cannot beat film B&W. Something about tonal range. So here's my try. Yet, it still bafflesme! I'm still scratching my head over the tonal range thingy

Yeah, I'm crappy. And silly.

Oh yes, I did some PP on this piece. Channel mixer, levels, USM. The scanned pics came with some reddish/brownish tone, so I had to use channel mixer to convert it back to B&W!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Shutter Starter

Anymore pictures to share? Somehow, it's nice and refreshing to see photos taken with a film camera.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Shutter Council

u can achieve greater tonality and contrasty for your film by pushing the development period longer.....

Mendee which film u used ? and which development process did u follow ?

Best think abt developing your OWN films is that after spending 30 minutes rolling cutting and groping in the dark..u get to see your results appearing in front of your very own eyes, coupled with a Slide Viewer for closer up look view and if u can get your hands on a good high definition scanner lagi syiok...Yes it costs $$$ to indulge in films, yes it takes time......but thats just part and parcel of something you would go through if you really have the interest in it. And yes....first time film buffs always have the problem of loading films (hahaha)

this is something Digital geeks will never know how to appreciate in todays electronic age...unless they try themselves.

here's an example of a Fuji SS 100 developed using T Max and pushed to if i recalled 20 seconds plus time development..

But i won't use Fuji anymore its freaky and acts weirdly.Shall stick to TMax and Ilford only.

B&W Neopan SS100 - 4.jpg

Last edited by leslie; 09-05-2007 at 08:31 PM..
Old 09-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Shuttertastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonian View Post
Anymore pictures to share? Somehow, it's nice and refreshing to see photos taken with a film camera.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
u can achieve greater tonality and contrasty for your film by pushing the development period longer.....

Best think abt developing your OWN films is that after spending 30 minutes rolling cutting and groping in the dark..u get to see your results appearing in front of your very own eyes, coupled with a Slide Viewer for closer up look view and if u can get your hands on a good high definition scanner lagi syiok...Yes it costs $$$ to indulge in films, yes it takes time......but thats just part and parcel of something you would go through if you really have the interest in it. And yes....first time film buffs always have the problem of loading films (hahaha)

this is something Digital geeks will never know how to appreciate in todays electronic age...unless they try themselves.

here's an example of a Fuji SS 100 developed using T Max and pushed to if i recalled 20 seconds plus time development..

But i won't use Fuji anymore its freaky and acts weirdly.Shall stick to TMax and Ilford only.

Attachment 5955
This was using Kodak BW 400CN. C-41 processing which I sent to the shop to do. Don't have my own darkroom, and besides that "someone" is probably gonna shriek if I brought up the idea

*tells self* I shall resist. I shall not get poisoned. I shall not get tempted *keeps reminding self*

Thanks for sharing your experience, leslie. That "feeling" is always the same thing others tell me, which is really very tempting
Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Shutter Council

mendee u dont need a darkroom...all u need is a cheapo China Made dark bag where u can fondle the film in it
Old 09-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Shuttertastic

Quote:
mendee u dont need a darkroom...all u need is a cheapo China Made dark bag where u can fondle the film in it
LOL, that's a good one You made it sound so "desirable"
Anyway, I just bought a roll of Kodak 400Tmax to try again. You have any advice or words on particular film? I hope I could find a shop to do the developing and processing!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 PM
New Shutter User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
LOL, that's a good one You made it sound so "desirable"
Anyway, I just bought a roll of Kodak 400Tmax to try again. You have any advice or words on particular film? I hope I could find a shop to do the developing and processing!
you can send them to
a) applied imaging in TTDI.
b) E-Six in Pudu Plaza.

C-41 Kodak films has a large exposure latitude but it looks too clinical to and extend that it looks almost like a digital conversion.

when using Tmax 400, make sure the exposure is right, it'll look good. otherwise, it'll look a little funny.

Tmax 100 is a different monster altogether.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Shuttertastic

Thanks for sharing the info and tip, silentshutter! Very much appreciated
Old 09-11-2007, 02:13 PM
New Shutter User

Quote:

1. how does push dev increases tonality, and why did you use tmax dev with neopan knowing that tmax dev is made specially for tmax, or at least T-grain films?

2. what's the point of pushing an ASA 100 with the photo that you posted?

3. Neopans doesn't look or act freaky, you just need to know to shoot them well. The Ilfords come close, but never as good.

If used properly, a Neopan can look like this.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Banned

dont compare a black and white using digital conversion. compare it by viewing the prints. thats the strength of black and white. a well done black and white print is only a good simile when u scan it into your pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
One of the pics from my virgin roll of B&W film

Attachment 5953

I'm so glad I finally nailed it, after like 3-4 times of failure due to incorrectly loading the film! Confirmed film virgin

I'm trying B&W film to see the difference between film and digital B&W. A friend has told me before digital B&W still cannot beat film B&W. Something about tonal range. So here's my try. Yet, it still bafflesme! I'm still scratching my head over the tonal range thingy

Yeah, I'm crappy. And silly.

Oh yes, I did some PP on this piece. Channel mixer, levels, USM. The scanned pics came with some reddish/brownish tone, so I had to use channel mixer to convert it back to B&W!