Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Photography > Trips, Travel & Holidays
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 09-29-2009, 09:44 AM
New Shutter User

3D 2N in Chiang Mai

I went to Chiang Mai over the recent Raya hols. Here are some photos from the trip: straight from camera without post processing (except re-sizing). C&C are welcomed. Thanks for viewing!

1. Sprinting Tuk Tuk
Tuk Tuk.jpg

2. Peeping Elephant
Elephant.jpg

3. Long neck community in Maesa
Long Neck.jpg

4. Doi Suthep Temple
Temple.jpg

5. Monks at Doi Suthep
Monks.jpg
Old 09-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Shutter Council

AWESOME me like this much
Old 09-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Shutter God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
straight from camera without post processing (except re-sizing).
I really don't get why people say this, especially like it's something to be proud of.

PP is part of photography, a big part. It always has been and always will be, from the darkroom to the digital era.

If you really care and want to take your photography to the next level you should PP, shoot in RAW, get the most out of your camera and get the most out of every picture.

Yah maybe you can shoot good pictures straight from camera, but they won't be great.

If you want to shoot in JPEG why not just buy a high end point and shoot? They have FAR better JPEG processing engines because SLRs aren't designed to shoot JPEG.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Shutterfreak

ST true, Dr Teh's images (& many others) are good examples but maybe what he is saying, you are looking at the baselines ??

How I wished we have wintery evenings here and too wet & cold to leg to the local for a couple of pints of McEwan Best Scotch ale, then pp will be more focused

cheers !

My China Fotos
Old 09-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Shutter Starter

Just to point out photography is not easy job! Manufacturers' word "Point & Shoot" is for the basic people who don't really care for the images they shoot. They don't thrive for perfection. Even if you are in the B&W era, you still need skills to process your images to the level of tone acceptable to printing.

I personal think most photographers in SA are the ones who wants to improve their skills and share to others. Digital photography without post-processing is a beginner in the world of photography. Photographers change camera burning their pockets but still have to post processing, themselves ...not the work of lab assistants anymore!
Old 09-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Shutter Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger View Post
I really don't get why people say this, especially like it's something to be proud of.

PP is part of photography, a big part. It always has been and always will be, from the darkroom to the digital era.

If you really care and want to take your photography to the next level you should PP, shoot in RAW, get the most out of your camera and get the most out of every picture.

Yah maybe you can shoot good pictures straight from camera, but they won't be great.

If you want to shoot in JPEG why not just buy a high end point and shoot? They have FAR better JPEG processing engines because SLRs aren't designed to shoot JPEG.
ST +1 from me ...

pp is important
| My Natural Blog | learn MACRO @ here
Old 09-29-2009, 05:48 PM
New Shutter User

First of all, thanks for the interest in the post, and thanks to hanuman for the compliments.

When I say that these pics are "straight from camera", I have no intentions to say it with pride that I have gotten it 100% perfect out of the camera, but I am merely stating a fact that I have not processed the photos. As a matter of fact, I was looking for advice and suggestions on how to improve, be it thru PP, composition, exposure etc. As such, constructive criticisms on the photos will be much appreciated...afterall, isn't this what the forum is all about, rather than picking on one harmless statement that I have made?

With all due respect, the choice between RAW and JPEG is a personal preference, and really depends on the end usage of the photos. These are really my travel photos that serves to remind me of the memories of my trip there...and I am just trying to share these with fellow forumers on SA, and get some advice on how to improve my photography.

Many apologies if this has offended anyone.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Shutter God

Quote:
With all due respect, the choice between RAW and JPEG is a personal preference, and really depends on the end usage of the photos. These are really my travel photos that serves to remind me of the memories of my trip there...and I am just trying to share these with fellow forumers on SA, and get some advice on how to improve my photography.

Don't take it so personally, what I said was meant as a general statement as I see these kind of things a lot.

And no, JPEG vs RAW is not a personal thing if you strive for the best you shoot RAW.

Look at any of the great digital photographers, non of them shoot JPEG.

The only excuse for shooting JPEG is for sports/wire shooters who upload immediately, and events shooters who need to give PR/press pics immediately after the event.

In neither of those cases they are going for maximum image quality, it's about convenience vs quality.

And well back to your statement, isn't what I said constructive criticism? If you can't read between the lines, it says shoot RAW and learn to PP your pics.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Shutter Demi-God

Maybe you can PP the Tuk Tuk shot a bit and submit it for this month (September) PANNING challenge. Tomorrow is the last day for submission.

Cheers.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Shuttertastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionmystery View Post
Maybe you can PP the Tuk Tuk shot a bit and submit it for this month (September) PANNING challenge. Tomorrow is the last day for submission.

Cheers.
that was my first tot when i saw the pic from the top....

Quote:
First of all, thanks for the interest in the post, and thanks to hanuman for the compliments.

When I say that these pics are "straight from camera", I have no intentions to say it with pride that I have gotten it 100% perfect out of the camera, but I am merely stating a fact that I have not processed the photos. As a matter of fact, I was looking for advice and suggestions on how to improve, be it thru PP, composition, exposure etc. As such, constructive criticisms on the photos will be much appreciated...afterall, isn't this what the forum is all about, rather than picking on one harmless statement that I have made?

they are great photos spacemonkey considering right out of the camera and can be great with PP...thanks for sharing...
btw, be yourself ... you dont have to live up to every ones expectation except your own.... all the best in the PP-ing.

From my undErstanding, theRE aRE no ruLEz... just REsults...
gregemmanuel.wordpress.com | Ma Flick