Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Photography > Street Photography, Urban & Candid
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 07-10-2012, 03:58 AM
Shutter Starter

Lens suggestion for Street Photography

Hi, I'm in need of assistance. Currently I'm using a Canon EOS 7D. Since the 7D is APS-C, it has 1.6x crop factor. I think I wanna try street photography for a change.

Therefore, I need some suggestions what/which lens I should use to get the equivalent of 35mm focal length. If I use a 20mm lens, the equivalent value is around 32mm. Whereas, if I use a 24mm lens, the equivalent is about 38mm.

Currently I have an EF 16-35mm f2.8 lens.

1. Should I just stick with it and leave the focal length at about 20mm?

2. Should I just get a prime lens such as EF 20mm f2.8 USM or 35mm f2? At least I don't have to worry about zooming...

3. Should I just get the EF 35mm f2?

Any suggestion is very much welcomed. If you have any lens you might wanna let go, just let me know.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Shutter Council

The new 40mm f2.8 pancake lens had great review and the bang for the buck seem justifiable. I just might get this to goof around.
The 24 - 105 L will give you more focal length range IMHO but lack on f-stop at f4 but the IS compensate for it and have been a real performer if you can afford the price tag. I've owned a Tamron 18-200 but this suck when it comes to low light shoots and the focus hunt during low light just drives me crazy.

My 2 cents
The Following User Says Thank You to hanuman For This Useful Post:
Fafner (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Shutter Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman View Post
The new 40mm f2.8 pancake lens had great review and the bang for the buck seem justifiable. I just might get this to goof around.
The 24 - 105 L will give you more focal length range IMHO but lack on f-stop at f4 but the IS compensate for it and have been a real performer if you can afford the price tag. I've owned a Tamron 18-200 but this suck when it comes to low light shoots and the focus hunt during low light just drives me crazy.

My 2 cents
Thanks for the suggestions, anyway...found what I was looking for, just woke up this morning and remembered something - Voigtlander!!

Did some research, went through some sites, compare prices, BAM!! Bought my new Voigtlander Color-Skopar 20mm f3.5 EF mount.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. 20mm lens has the focal length equivalent to 32mm, well...for me it's close enough to 35mm. I'll be posting some test shots.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

Two very popular lenses to shoot with for street photography are the 50mm and 35mm.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Shutter Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynewillis View Post
Two very popular lenses to shoot with for street photography are the 50mm and 35mm.
Hehe...this post was made a year ago. Upgraded my gear to FF and have sold my 20mm. Thanks by the way.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:52 PM
New Shutter User

Len is an important to consider but it is not always the case. What sort of camera and lens should you bring? Just use anything you have. Techniques and timing me plays an important rules. A street photography often focus on everyday lives of strangers. Try as much as possible to stay unnoticed when photographing. The goal of street photography is to capture scenes unaffected by the author of the work so as to show a natural story and subject. In street photography, a person got to be daring which I still find it hard from places to another. Camera settings is essential. Depth of field nor does image quality does provide an interesting points of view. In the end, look for particularly interesting subjects and focus on the story.

All the best and happy shooting.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Shutter Starter

I have the 50 mm 1.4 ultrasonic canon... and love it. Beautiful depth of field. Of course it is on a cropped sensor so I think it is more like a 70mm. I use it for video too... I just get such a filmic look with it.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:00 PM
New Shutter User

As a street photographer, physical distance can be an extremely valuable asset for capturing that decisive moment . The dull colors may be attributed to either camera settings, or post processing techniques.Enjoy the flexibility of a zoom, and that it will enhance your photographic experience.