Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Shutter Asia General > News & Announcements
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 06-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Shutterfreak

Exclamation Shutter Asia 4th Anniversary - Tak Nak Chimping Photo Contest

Hey there! We're proud to announce the winners of the photo contest "Tak Nak Chimping" during our 4th Anniversary gathering in Melaka here!

The theme for the Tak Nak Chimping photo contest is "Malacca Through Your Lens".

Before that, this is our group photo.
IMG_4318.JPG

The 1st Prize Winner, Liren Thow! A 9-year old kid with more than 3 years photography experience won himself a Canon IXUS 115HS, proudly sponsored by Canon Malaysia and 12-month subscription of Digital SLR Photography Magazine sponsored by Digital Imaging Publication. His winning shot as follow:
IMG_4309.JPG
(due to technical error, picture is in black & white)

His winning shot,
tnc_010.JPG

This event is proudly supported by,
logo_w_slogan.jpg and digital logo_small.png

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ah Vier For This Useful Post:
kimberlycun (06-20-2011), lixin (06-21-2011), mujib (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Shutterfreak

Exclamation

The 2nd Prize Winner, Lim Hock Cheng. Won himself a Canon Selphy Compact Printer CP800 and 12-month subscription of Digital SLR Photography Magazine.
IMG_4301.JPG

And his winning shot,
tnc_0031.JPG

The 3rd Prize Winner, Lili Lim. Won herself a Canon EF50mm f/1.8 and 12-month subscription of Digital SLR Photography Magazine.
IMG_4299.JPG

her winning shot,
tnc_008.JPG

Congrats to all! Thanks for joining us!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ah Vier For This Useful Post:
kimberlycun (06-20-2011), mujib (06-20-2011), ShaolinTiger (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Shutter Fan

Congratulations to all the winners!

My Flickr
Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Shutterfreak

BIG congrats to all ..... beautiful photos! love em all
Old 06-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Shuttertastic

Wow, congrats to all, especially to Liren who must have had a great sifu guiding him.

Too bad I missed this event.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Shutter Starter

Hey there, congratulations to the winner.

Noob question though, can someone explain the winning shots? will want to learn how to get such winning photos. many thanks in advance to all the sifu's.

The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns; the pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious to the rose.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Shuttertastic

Congratulation to all winner...great staff...love them.....

to my Sifu...Garlicson....best lar for sapu 1st price.....
Old 06-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Shutter Fan

Hmmm,... I never knew SA has gatherings like these, with comps some more. Interesting. Congrats to the winners of the competition.

I am just wondering what is the winning elements of these shots taken? I am just puzzled how badly metered shots are able to win photography comps, let alone them all looking like snaps?

I am a newbie, and I am learning here. I would like to see what the judges see. Guidance is much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper79 View Post
Hmmm,... I never knew SA has gatherings like these, with comps some more. Interesting. Congrats to the winners of the competition.

I am just wondering what is the winning elements of these shots taken? I am just puzzled how badly metered shots are able to win photography comps, let alone them all looking like snaps?

I am a newbie, and I am learning here. I would like to see what the judges see. Guidance is much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
as you can see, we have a theme for the photo contest, "Malacca through your lens". Of course, it must be something relevant to Malacca but not the ordinary angle which you easily can get.

The 1st winning shot, if you are aware of it, it has 3 elements in the picture. The front, middle and background. This kid, he likes flare, therefore he added the flare to make this shot even more stunning. The background, which is the famous church in Malacca. He has it all...

Old 06-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Shutter Fan

Thank you sir for pointing this out. It does have the church and you can automatically make you relate back immediately that the photo is taken in Malacca. Having a stump (foreground), fountain (assuming it is the main subject), and the church (background) + the flare (assuming the element that ties it all together)?. Isn't most photo comps judge based on every other aspects of photography? For instance, context, composition, and technicalities.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't good photography all about having engage your audience? In other words, isn't photography all about making images with feeling; Good or Bad, Happy or Sad, these images are to awaken our spirits in sharing the feelings of another captured moments, frozen in time to engage our souls? Reason why I said these are snaps is because there is nothing really engaging to me in terms of context. Maybe I am missing out something, but these shot could still be seen better? Other than them looking like a regular shot like any other shots of Malacca on flickr, no?

With all is said, isn't these shots look a little flat now? Correct me if I am wrong in saying so. I might have missed something which the fellow judges have seen. Maybe they could teach me a thing or two about judging what makes a really good shot is all about. Thanks heaps! Cheers!

Last edited by clipper79; 06-21-2011 at 03:34 PM..