Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Shutter Asia Others > Car Lovers
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 04-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Shutter Council

Just to add a bit more about Toyota's VSC and ABS. If you owned a Toyota car with these features, please have them calibrated once in a while to make sure the features kick in when they are needed and work as they are supposed to. It's done by computer, but I think they have to take out the tires to calibrate and service. It's free as part of your car's regular service at UMW. I got mine calibrated at the 40,000 km service. Just tell them you want to them to check the VSC and ABS systems.

yes, karheng, Toyota is already selling the 2009 version in US just as the 2008 model hit our shores. Proton on the other hand, just phased out their 1985 model in 2008. The 2009 Saga will come out when your children graduates. You can book now as their graduation present.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Shutter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenws View Post
That's a different car, the Mark-X.

The new Camry 2009 is 3.5L v6 6-speed auto. 268hp. Older version was 3L.
Oh it's less than US$26,000 in US. Cheaper than Proton Perdana woh ..
3.5L!!! will this be available in malaysia?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Shutterfreak

Quote:

yes, karheng, Toyota is already selling the 2009 version in US just as the 2008 model hit our shores. Proton on the other hand, just phased out their 1985 model in 2008. The 2009 Saga will come out when your children graduates. You can book now as their graduation present.
Wahhahahaha...I dun think so....waste of money..u'll never know if they will close shop by then or not......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdrive View Post
3.5L!!! will this be available in malaysia?
U can try importing it but the road tax will cost you a D3 every year?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Shuttertastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karheng View Post
U can try importing it but the road tax will cost you a D3 every year?
That expensive meh???
I think not even enough to buy a D300.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by twsttl View Post
That expensive meh???
I think not even enough to buy a D300.
Aiya....actually 3.5 not so high. Got confused with the 5.0 which I peeped at last time. 15k road tax including insurance....company car i think...
Old 04-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Shutter Fan

Quote:
Just to add a bit more about Toyota's VSC and ABS. If you owned a Toyota car with these features, please have them calibrated once in a while to make sure the features kick in when they are needed and work as they are supposed to. It's done by computer, but I think they have to take out the tires to calibrate and service. It's free as part of your car's regular service at UMW. I got mine calibrated at the 40,000 km service. Just tell them you want to them to check the VSC and ABS systems.
Is it possible that we buy the standard spec model and install the VSC later? Is this like a photoshop plug-in?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Shutter Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdrive View Post
Is it possible that we buy the standard spec model and install the VSC later? Is this like a photoshop plug-in?
No idea. But it's not just software, the sensors and activators are hardwares; that may be expensive to install post-assembly.

Now, I would really like a Ferrari plug-in, not just VSC! Just install drivers*, restart the car, and it performs like a Ferrari.

* m.schumacher v2.0 (premium)
* f.massa v1.1 (cheaper; no TC)

Old 04-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Shutter Fan

Quote:
I find the car taking over full control quite a scary thought. I drive a fully manual car which has no vsc, abs or tc to do these sort of stuff. And with such a skid, or anything, countersteering would probably been my first reaction, or an instinct perhaps.

I can't imagine how it felt to have everything locked up. SCARY! but not everybody knows how to countersteer, more people step on the brake first!
karheng,
Be thankful that you now drive a manual car. It's a blessing in disguise actually. By driving a manual car, you know more about the weaknesses of a car, for example the aquaplaning limit of the tyres, the cornering limit both in dry and wet conditions, and how to induce artificial ABS and how utilize the braking power of the engine to bring you to a stop. When you have the chance, go to an empty space, and spin your car around. Play with the clutches and hand brakes, try hard cornering and try emergency braking. If possible, try in wet conditions too. I have tried that in my old Iswara, and believe me, that experience saved me in a lot of situations.

Even now after I have switched to an Altis with full VSC, TC and ABS, it still helps to know how to handle your car properly in the first place without having to resort to those features, in case I get too comfortable with the features turned on. As Doc has put it, these features might not work over time, so you still need to be careful while driving at all times.

Last edited by jackyyong; 05-07-2008 at 12:46 AM..
Old 04-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Shutterfreak

Of course....

If you have to know, I used to have to change my car's arm and bushes quite often cos u know la..angkat corner. =)

Manual is fun. With proper pedal controls, I have learnt manual ABS. =)

I won't do that donut thingy anymore. Burn tyres, burn arms, burn suspension and burn money.

I'd rather spend for camera, won't go to waste. Car too much wear and tear la....expensive. sometimes u change one thing, then u end up changing a few more parts.

Best ever feeling is drifting. There's no better adrenaline rush and joy after completing a perfect drift...which of course...u have to tune your car to drift mode la.....

Wah Jacky NICE new car...=P~~~~~~ COngrats!
Old 04-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Shutter God

Quote:
Of course....

If you have to know, I used to have to change my car's arm and bushes quite often cos u know la..angkat corner. =)
You should fit the nylon performance bushes la, not that much more expensive but will last indefinitely