Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Photography > Street Photography, Urban & Candid
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Shuttertastic

Brickfields - Little India on one street

From my overloaded hdd again. I took a short walk in Brickfields last year and just snapped what I fancied:

#1 One of many multi-purpose stores

Idols of Hindu gods upstairs, general provisions downstairs, and prayer flowers outside - everything a Hindu needs ... almost

#2 Hindu flower stall

Flowers are very important for the devout Hindus. This is one of many flower stalls on Jln. Tun Sambanthan

#3 Bombay Point

At the Sri Kota end of Jln. Tun Sambanthan leading to Sentral, Bombay Point is a popular fashion retailer. It does not open early but closes very late.

#4 Sri Paandi

Purveyor of fine banana leaf cuisine, Sri Paandi is one of a few here that are frequented by the local Indians. It's been around for a very long time.

#5 Friendly Tamils

Friendly restaurant staff pose for me with their delicious vadai (savoury and spicy deep fried snacks). Most of these guys actually come from India.

#6 Sharing a Shoplot

A butcher and a general store splits a shoplot 60:40 in this short stretch of Jln. Tun Sambanthan. These devout Hindus are industrious and practical.

#7 Hardware Store and Landlord

The ubiqitous Chinese hardware store. This one is sandwiched between two Seetharams, a chain of general stores and restaurants. Incidentally, Kim Her owns the modern building which also houses a bank.

#8 Another Restaurant

Though it calls itself a curry house, it also serves meals on banana leaves. Notice the enormous exhaust on the right? There's a lot of deep frying in Indian food

#9 An Emporium

Remember the famous Selangor Emporium of the 70s? They sell such a variety of things neatly packed onto displays. Anyone who works in one must have a darn good memory. See that lady? She just came out of the emporium and was trying to avoid me ,,,

...cont'd Part 2/2
Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Shuttertastic

Part 2/2

#10 The Pet Shop End

This end of the road has some interesting shophouses. The upper floors of many units have verandas & are clearly meant for dwelling. However, many also house businesses

#11 Eye-catching Veranda

Talk about industrious! Hair saloon, travel agency, maid / employment agency and can you guess the fourth? All this above the 4D outlet

#12 Quick Tailor

This is the 4th biz there. Where in the world can you get a tailored outfit in 1 hour? Ok, ok, part of an outfit. A Choli, I think it's called. Wrap around a length of cloth called a saree and you have a full outfit! Wow - one hour! Proudly Malaysian!

#13 Sentral Condos

KL Sentral's high-end condominiums overlook Jln Tun Sambanthan's Little India from the North. What a contrast! Glitzy modern Sentral just a stone's throw away from down-to-earth but vibrant Little India.

#14 A Gentleman and A Bike

Got to talking with this gentleman. He's an Indian Muslim who works in (or perhaps owns) the paper shop on the right, and lives upstairs. "Cool bike," I said to him. "Oh no, not mine." Haha, you never know ... modesty?

#15 Happy Weavers

These 3 florists, or should I say flower weavers, really do enjoy their work. The guy in the middle's working on a bouquet of roses spiked with little white buds (jasmine?) Their clients will buy their handiwork for religious rituals and altar adornment.

#16 The Lingam

Did you know that this is a Lingam? That's waht he said to me. It's made of little flowers of various yellow and brown hues. I didn't ask but I think they're weaved and stuck onto a styrofoam base.
See the white uncovered squarish area? That's where the picture of the client's favorite Hindu god will go. It costs RM300 and lasts only 3 days! This one's waiting for some rich guy who ordered it. Cool, huh?

#17 The Shy Guy

After showing him the shots I took, he warmed up ... just a little bit. These guys and their dextrous hands do wonders with roses and buds.

#18 The Affable One

This chap had the friendliest smile. Unfortunately, language was a problem. Being from India, he only managed an itsy bit of Bahasa. "Santik," he said when I showed my shots. Huh? Oh, you mean "cantik" ... laughter all round.

#19 Sunday Best

Back to the other end where I parked. A family dressed in traditional clothes wait as their friend opens the store. Are they customers? Or are they the owners? I was too shy to ask... maybe next time.

Thanks for looking
Old 04-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Serious Shutter

Wow, thanks for the walk ive felt like walking around that road with u as my local guide. I (we) need more of theeseee..... !

p/s: i wont bother talking to/asking strangers if i could take their pictures because of my shyness hehe