Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Photography > Portraits, People & Studio
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Shutter Starter

some good comments here already from the members... overall a decent attempt but some thoughts...

#1 - an interesting departure but the highlighted background is distracting the viewer from the main subject
#2 - cropping at the feet should be avoided. also the distortion from doing a lower angle is not flattering for the legs
#3- good use of the water to crown the head though the angle and pose of the model needs some work and the cropping at the knees is a bit awkward
Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Shutter God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhan View Post
a terrific set i'd have to say, not becuz u guys are risking limbs and heads for these but for a good overall stuff, although personally, the bluish in some pic tint isnt to my taste - but thats just me.
Thanks Jay...was just fighting against her horrible pink bikini colour, trying to get the colour tone into something reasonable hehe.

The blue was to emphasis the coldness of the water...which was infact bloody freezing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqmeng View Post
nice set... like the last one..maybe she s wet, and tht makes the background waterfall blend into the whole pic. if she is too dry the background waterfall s just like a normal background.... hahaha... not sure if u get what i mean
Thanks qq! Not sure what you mean tho no..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakap View Post
waaa... very nice... I still need sometime to process my images la...
Woi faster la!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
pix no 5 oversharpened dude
Ok have toned down the sharpening, was late at night and I ran it through batch resize for forum posting. Got sharpened twice by mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancheong7 View Post
Pretty good lighting, I must say.

#1, #2, #3
Thanks alan, the first set was pretty challenging as it was in deep shade with no chance of using reflector due to dangerous slippy rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickuan View Post
Wow! Fantastic shots ST.....and #3 does it for me with a powerful background...
Thanks DK Will post more soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen0111 View Post
Why the color feel blue ah? or my eyes got problem?
Used some variations to give different feeling...dunno what that white thing is, perhaps the underwire for the bikini, have removed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by well2k26 View Post
i prefer available light with reflector shoot. I think the flash is kill all the available light there. Just my 2 cent.
Yah I agree, you'll see that style in the later sets, but for these as above, was shot in dark shade with no option for reflected light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
unusual angles for the first few shots, really not my taste. #2 the feet has been cropped off. 3nd pic with strong highlight at the back.
Feet purposely cropped, if not she looks like big foot due to angle distortion from super wide. Hard to avoid the highlights with the harsh light falling on the white froth of the waterfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanatir View Post
some good comments here already from the members... overall a decent attempt but some thoughts...

#1 - an interesting departure but the highlighted background is distracting the viewer from the main subject
#2 - cropping at the feet should be avoided. also the distortion from doing a lower angle is not flattering for the legs
#3- good use of the water to crown the head though the angle and pose of the model needs some work and the cropping at the knees is a bit awkward
#1 Yah I agree, any suggestions to improve it regarding the distracting water at the back?
#2 I like it though, feet looked weird if not cropped ala bigfoot style.
#3 Yah, her posing was an issue sometimes, regarding the cropping do you think full length would be better, or a more decisive crop higher up?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Shutter Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger View Post
#1 Yah I agree, any suggestions to improve it regarding the distracting water at the back?
#2 I like it though, feet looked weird if not cropped ala bigfoot style.
#3 Yah, her posing was an issue sometimes, regarding the cropping do you think full length would be better, or a more decisive crop higher up?
#1 i think u have to make a choice here... the distraction is probably due to the water being a bright blurry spot behind her. personally, i would avoid this shot altogether
#3 problem is mostly due to the low angle shot. maybe a closer to eye level shot with a waistline crop. and she will need to angle her body at the cam a bit more
Old 03-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Shutter Fan

Ok... here are my photos of lovely Joey

SI0F0853.jpg

SI0F1022.jpg

SI0F1039.jpg

Sorry about the low res of the photos, save bandwidth
Feel free to CC.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Shutter Council

hrmm come to think of it, there's one more thing i wanna comment. next time photogs should be careful with model's poses - especially on the way a lady model sits in bikini becuz otherwise can see folds of (i dont wanna use this word but its a bit hard to describe) "fat" on tummy. As I understand this is natural, but proper posing could help eliminate such feature from photos. Also be careful of folds under the chin/neck with each different facial angle.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Shutter God

Set 2, natural lighting this time, no flash yay!

1. Kawai!

_GAZ5235_RAWx800.jpg

2. Longing.

_GAZ5258_RAWx800.jpg

3. Sunny Days

_GAZ5284_RAWx800.jpg

4. Searching

_GAZ5342_RAWx800.jpg

5. Dreamy

_GAZ5417_RAW1x800.jpg

Thoughts?
Old 03-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Shutter Council

personally i like no2. got the nice eye contact. dude... i see a lot of reflector play here eh? nice stuff overall this set... better than the first one you posted up in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger View Post
Set 2, natural lighting this time, no flash yay!

1. Kawai!
Attachment 281

2. Longing.
Attachment 283

3. Sunny Days
Attachment 282

4. Searching
Attachment 279

5. Dreamy
Attachment 280

Thoughts?

Altogether much better this time, due mostly to ambient lighting, very very nice.
1. Ooh la la - angle accentuates the fullness of her breasts, nice.

2. I prefer to crop and leave just the head, but the rest of the body gives credence to 'Longing'

3. Actually, I love the background bokeh of the greenery and the rock pool and clear water in the foreground. Colours nicely saturated

4. Would prefer to be able to see her face clearly

Just my thoughts
Old 03-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Shutter Starter

ST, this second set (especially #1 & #2 of 2nd set) is very much better than the 1st set.

Just my thoughts.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Shutter God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhan View Post
personally i like no2. got the nice eye contact. dude... i see a lot of reflector play here eh? nice stuff overall this set... better than the first one you posted up in my opinion.
Thanks Jay You know me though, I generally try and avoid eye contact where possible, I find it a little cliched. Reflector was used mostly full-time due to harsh light and natural reflections from water everywhere, had to control the contrast and tonal range.

I like this set much better too, wanted to post a taste from each though to see the contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancheong7 View Post
1. Ooh la la - angle accentuates the fullness of her breasts, nice.

2. I prefer to crop and leave just the head, but the rest of the body gives credence to 'Longing'

3. Actually, I love the background bokeh of the greenery and the rock pool and clear water in the foreground. Colours nicely saturated

4. Would prefer to be able to see her face clearly
Thanks alan, appreciate your comments, I do agree this set is better!

2. I guess is personal taste, I don't think it would work so well too tight.

4. Yeah I would have liked a little more face too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halee View Post
ST, this second set (especially #1 & #2 of 2nd set) is very much better than the 1st set.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks halee, appreciate your comment. I agree this is better, will see what comes out of the next set (some of my favourite shots in the 3rd).