Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Videography > Technical Talk
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Shutter Starter

Product videography

Hi Guys,

Am new to videography, still learning and finding my way through it.

I'm now trying to shoot nice videography (short videos) of product, as experiment and to gain experience in doing product videography.

I know in order to have a clean and seamless, you'll need good lighting gear and good backdrop.

I always wanted to challenge by using DIY stuff around the house to create a good product shot (In budget).

Any of you si fu ever tried before and have some advice on it?

I've bought a decent white fabric about 1 meter (my product aren't that big so 1 meter will do) and this is great with product shots[of course still need some lighting editing by software for the seamless effect]

But when i do videography it's not the same anymore.

Hope you guys can share out any effective DIY tools in order for a great product videography.. thanks !!~
Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 AM
New Shutter User

There is little demand for optical videography of products in the commercial space because it is so much easier to create motion and 3D modeling with CGI. The only kinds of shots worth attempting are those that involve non-chromakey background (art directed "natural" settings) , shots involving interaction with human models/body parts, food shots, car interior. Otherwise CGI is the better option.

You can get started by having a fast prime and a lensbaby. A macro lens is helpful for smaller objects. Since motion is what sets product videography from photography, you should invest in a smooth but rock solid slider (Edelkrone slider plus is a uniquely designed for product videography), picodolly, a small fluid head (WF717 is good and cheap) and a table top tripod or hi-hat.

For lighting, LED corn bulbs from Leddig are great for soft boxes. For directional lighting, try Chauvet or American DJ pinspot LED. They are very cheap and extremely bright with lenses to boot. Pinspots also work great with umbrellas.
Take your lighting set up cue from product photography. There are tons of resources and literature on the subject. Just replace the flash with the pinspot or the softbox where appropriate.

Because LEDs are not dimmable, use your ISO and shutter speed to control exposure instead. If you prefer old school incandescent, nothing beats dedolights for flexibility in lighting. Rifas from lowel are also perfect substitute for soft boxes.