Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Shutter Asia Others > Chit-Chat & Off-Topic
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Shutter Council

wireless broadband

anyone here using maxis broadband? i've not been online for the past one week or so due to tmnut streamyx (not my first time).. took the rm99 package which they are suppose to replace modem everytime it breaks down but problem is, i have to wait for ages before the technician actually comes over to send the new modem.. not that i don't have a spare modem but my fixed line is also dead and have been waiting for a technician to come over to replace the white box, and yes you guess it right, i have been waiting ages for this also.. supposedly 3 working days if i'm not mistaken but i've been through cases that technician came only after i called 3 times and over 7 working days! so i was thinking of converting to wireless broadband instead.. or perhaps any other recommended wireless broadband service provider? need assistance on this matter.. thanks!

Last edited by nfariz8; 01-24-2008 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Shutter Starter

wireless broadband

Go for CELCOM. Get the HUAWEI 3G modem. I have been using this service for almost 4 months. Great speed. No service breakdown.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Shutter Demi-God

I use my moto v3xx as modem. Really sucks. Highly unstable and the upload speed can be as low as 30-50 kbps. . Damansara Perdana area.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Shutter Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaidridzuan View Post
Go for CELCOM. Get the HUAWEI 3G modem. I have been using this service for almost 4 months. Great speed. No service breakdown.
thanks for the info but what do i need in order to use this service other than the modem? and rough cost to start and monthly charges? or any other info? and also difference between using a 3G phone as a modem and using a proper modem for it.. i know i can google the info but i want feedback from people using it..

orion, what about download speed? is it because of using your phone as modem or that area memang slow?

kinda need info asap as i just got back from TM and decided to terminate me streamyx.. hehe.. not really terminate, i transferred my account to my uncle so he don't need to pay for the registration fee, deposit etc..

Last edited by nfariz8; 01-24-2008 at 04:57 PM..
Old 01-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Shutter Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfariz8 View Post
thanks for the info but what do i need in order to use this service other than the modem? and rough cost to start and monthly charges? or any other info? and also difference between using a 3G phone as a modem and using a proper modem for it.. i know i can google the info but i want feedback from people using it..

orion, what about download speed? is it because of using your phone as modem or that area memang slow?

kinda need info asap as i just got back from TM and decided to terminate me streamyx.. hehe.. not really terminate, i transferred my account to my uncle so he don't need to pay for the registration fee, deposit etc..
My area is supposed to have HSDPA/3.5G coverage ie 3.6mpbs download speed. But if i get 500 kbps, I'll be happy.

Another alternative is iZZi...but from what I've heard, the feedback is not very good either.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Shutter Fan

I use Maxis Broadband as backup (when Streamyx is down or slow) and whenever i travel. Works fine for me with no speed or connection issues.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Shutter Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
I use Maxis Broadband as backup (when Streamyx is down or slow) and whenever i travel. Works fine for me with no speed or connection issues.
Travel within Klang Valley or outside as well? What's the typical up/down speed you get? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Shutter God

You can try Izzi too depending on your location.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:41 AM
New Shutter User

Just to share my experience.

Maxis has 2 types of broadband services. Wired broadband and Wireless broadband. You need make sure your place is within their coverage area before you can use these services. You can call their customer care to find out.

To use the Wireless broadband you need to be in the High Speed 3G coverage area, 3G coverage is not enough.

I was a streamyx subscriber but I've terminated it after I shifted to my new house, because there is no telephone line and my new house is outside streamyx coverage area. Now I am using my mobile phone as a modem and am using Maxis 3G (not wireless broadband because my house is not within high speed 3G coverage). I choose Maxis because it is my only option, other service providers only have GPRS in my place.

Speed wise, of course is slower than DSL (streamyx), but is not too bad, I think is 50 - 70% of that of streamyx 1Mbps (but this comparison is very subjective because there could be many people who shared the bandwidth at the same time). So I guess high speed 3G should be much faster. If your area only has GPRS coverage then you can forget about using your mobile phone as modem, it is very very slow.

Cost wise, I'm subscribing to the unlimited data package , the cost is RM120/month, or RM99/month during promotional period. This cost is on top of my voice call charges, so every month my mobile phone bill (voice + data) is around RM200 on average.

In my case this amount is slightly more expensive than that during my streamyx days (streamyx RM66/month + telephone line monthly minimum charge RM26, compared to 3G unlimited RM120). In fact, last time I kept the telephone line only because I was using streamyx. My mobile is still my main communication channel for voice calls because I'm outside most of the time.

So, maybe you can start with by calling each of the mobile phone operators to find out whether your place is within their 3G/high speed 3G coverage area. If more than 1 of them can offer you the service, then compare their fees. And then compare that with how much you are paying for streamyx now.

And not forgetting, if you are planning to use your mobile phone as a modem, then make sure your phone also is a 3G/3.5G phone. This can potentially add cost to your switching. As for wireless broadband (need high speed 3G ya), then you can opt for their modem.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Shutter Demi-God

I am sure the connection is better, more stable if we use their modem instead of our phone as modem. Cheaper too. Just use your office address, if it's within the coverage zone and 5th floor or below