Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Shutter Asia Others > Chit-Chat & Off-Topic
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 02-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Shutter Fan

Haze in lens element. Possible to clean?

Hi all.

Just need your opinions. I have a bloody old tokina (bout 10 years...pass down to me) which has hazed up. Its a good lens and has served me well. So, I decided to send it for cleaning. Consulted Jason of JOne and he said the element has to be changed and there is nothing he can do about it coz no more parts. To me, the dots (white dots) do not look like fungus because I recognize how fungi grow (thread like)...

I've searched the net and there are cases of hazed lens being cleaned up by removal of multi coated layer but not sure what it means. Ohya, I tried doing search on this in SA and PM as well. Didn't really answer my questions.

Big question to all.

1) Can it be cleaned? Where shall I send it to?
2) Would the cause be fungus or condensation of the apature blade oil on the element?
3) Would this affect my cam body and other lenses if I continue to use it?
4) Any idea how much it would cost? No point cleaning it if its gona cost a bomb.

Would really appreciate some help because I sayang to throw this lens away. Thanks all.

Cheers,

Last edited by newnoob; 02-02-2010 at 09:12 PM..
Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Shuttertastic

I think its the glue that binds two elements together. I don't think any repairman would be able to clean it because the fogged up glue is sandwiched between two pieces of glass.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Shutter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonteil View Post
I think its the glue that binds two elements together. I don't think any repairman would be able to clean it because the fogged up glue is sandwiched between two pieces of glass.
Ooohh. So means it wont infect my cam body or other lenses right? Would it be a good idea to convert it to a soft focus lens to be used in B+W photos?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Shuttertastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnoob View Post
Ooohh. So means it wont infect my cam body or other lenses right? Would it be a good idea to convert it to a soft focus lens to be used in B+W photos?
You can do whatever artistic stuff you wish with it. Experimentation is after all personal preference. Since I suspect its not mould, I don't think it will spread. Try and purposely shoot the lens direct into bright lights. Maybe the effects might be interesting.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Shutter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonteil View Post
You can do whatever artistic stuff you wish with it. Experimentation is after all personal preference. Since I suspect its not mould, I don't think it will spread. Try and purposely shoot the lens direct into bright lights. Maybe the effects might be interesting.
I don't think its fungi either. If it were I will sacrifice the lens and try isolating the fungi.

It does actually. A nice soft focus with faded colors. Was meddling around with it before taking it to JOne.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnoob View Post
I don't think its fungi either. If it were I will sacrifice the lens and try isolating the fungi.

It does actually. A nice soft focus with faded colors. Was meddling around with it before taking it to JOne.

Thanks for the advice.
so some sample pic after u took the pic, interesting
Old 02-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Shuttertastic

I know a number of Sigma lenses from the mid 90s are very prone to fogging due to the fumes from the glue used. It does look a bit like condensation or tiny spots of oil

There is nothing that can be done except to replace the elements. I had two Sigmas suffering from it, and had twice changed the elements on one. Each time, the lens was sent back to Japan for the element change and it took months before I got it back. The third set of elements started to fog again and I just gave up.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Shutter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I know a number of Sigma lenses from the mid 90s are very prone to fogging due to the fumes from the glue used. It does look a bit like condensation or tiny spots of oil

There is nothing that can be done except to replace the elements. I had two Sigmas suffering from it, and had twice changed the elements on one. Each time, the lens was sent back to Japan for the element change and it took months before I got it back. The third set of elements started to fog again and I just gave up.
I guess 3rd parties are rather prone to this arn't they? I have 2 sigmas as well but they seem to be clean for now. I try my best to keep them well but considering where I am, it may not be the case.

Guess its time to invest in a weatherproof compact to trash about.

Jack2: Yup. Will do after I do some adjustment to the lens to focus on my cam. May run off a bit but nothing finetuning cant do.