Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Photography > Food & Eating
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 06-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Shutterfreak

Location: The Country where they don't serve Pork Bacons in Subway Sandwiches
Talking Friday Night Munch

Friday night, feeling a bit lazy after doing some work, I decided to just stay home and cook instead of going out to eat. Furthermore, living on a tight budget as well.

Anyway, the menu I had in mind was a simple dish of Taugeh, Lemon Chicken and Fried Curry Fish. Simple eh? As we live with a muslim chap, I've to respect him by not cooking any pork so yeah, I can only get my pork fix outside (but so far able to control my pork addiction).

Firstly, the taugeh, needs to clean them up nicely, I'm not sure how people normally do it but for me, I just rinse it in the water and removes any black heads from the taugeh. Also prepare 2 pieces of garlic for the taugeh.
Warm up the wok and put in a 2 spoonful of oil. Place in the garlic and let it cook for awhile to allow the fragrant to come out, next up, just put in the taugeh (minus the water) into the wok and start stirring, after awhile, add in a dash of salt to give it some taste, and as I like it crunchy, I'd only stir it about for a minute or two. But it really depends on how strong your fire is as the flame I get in my stove is quite good, I don't have to cook my food long. Place it into a nice plate or bowl and there you have it! The first simple dish.
Next up, I cooked the Fried curry Fish. Quite easy to make, when you buy your fish, ask the fish monger to clean out the inside of the fish as it'll really help you to do less work when you get home. I cleaned the fish up as soon as I got home from the market so I don't have to do much work when I start cooking so yeah... I'd put some salt onto the fish, rub it all over and follow that up with curry powder to cover as much area as I could. To be safe, I pour in extra curry powder ontop of what I've already covered on the fish.
Like the taugeh above, warm up your wok, pour in enough oil to fry the fish and as the oil get hot enough. Put in the fish, be warned that you'd get watch some dancing oil when the fish touches the oil, try to stay away from the splashes of oil as it jumps up from the base unless you like pain! One tip to know if the fish is nicely fried is when you try to turn it over, if it's nicely cook, it'll not stick to the wok, if you try to flip the fish over and it's stuck, just let it fry abit more before you try again. Fish cooks fast so you do have to watch the amount of time you leave the fish in the wok.Once it's cooked, place it in a plate so you can re-use the wok for another dish. :p
Next dish I did was the Lemon Chicken, also another easy dish to prepare. First up, all you need is some chicken, some eggs (I prepared 2) and some corn flour. First, after you clean up the chicken, place them into a bowl with beaten eggs (I gave my eggs a good beating to make sure they're well behave). Coat it well with eggs before dipping them into another bowl filled with corn flour (put enough to prepare the amount of chickens you intend to cook and try to have no wastage).
Place the chicken into the wok (filled with hot cooking oil0 and let it fry til golden, repeat the process with all the chicken meat. You can cook one piece at the time if you have alot of time on your hand, I got all my chicken coated with the flour and place them all in at once so I reduce the time to cook the dish. Remve them once it's golden brown and that's when you start to prepare the next part of this dish.
I use the Maggi Instant Lemon Sauce (yes, I cheated), all you have to do is, heat up the wok, place in 2 dashes of oil and then pour in the instant lemon sauce into the wok, let it simmer abit (keep stirring unless you want the sauce to stick to your wok). Place in the chicken meat that you fried earlier and stir abit more, once you think the sauce have coated all the chickens enough, remove them into a plate. If you fancy some decoration, cook with some diced cucumber as well.
And there you have it, 3 dishes enough for 2 person. All done and ready to eat along with rice in less than 30minute from start to finish. What do you think? Can survive or not?

Feel free to give your comments.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Serious Shutter

wah wah ... cooking class in SA "Wok with Yip " ..... nice ..... simple and nice ... i miss cooking
Old 06-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Shutter Demi-God

Nice...

Stim Fish satu, taukeh
Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Shutter Fan

Looks very yummy

| Canon EOS 50D + BG-E2N & Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2N | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon Extender: EF 1.4x II | Canon Speedlite 430EX
Old 06-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Shutter Fan

Chef Yip in action!
Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Shutterfreak

Location: The Country where they don't serve Pork Bacons in Subway Sandwiches
These days, with fuel cost rising, everything on a rise.... that's why decide to start cooking at home again and experiment with a few dishes. Caught our very own Mr. OrionMystery @ Tesco doing some Grocery shopping only mah...

He can whip out more excellent dishes compared to what I've cooked.

acidict: Cooking class with Me? LOL. Easily got more better cooks in here than myself. It's just that I got too much time inbetween dishes and can sit around and take photos :p

Guy594: Thanks

teddy: Chef Yip? That sounds good wei. LOL..... You can find Chef Yip @ his restaurant in Sunway Pyramid's LG between the old wing and the new wing. His specialty is Char Siew Wantan Noodles. Name of the REstaurant is Restaurant Yip (doesn't belong to me family though )
Old 06-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Shutter Fan

hahaha, a cooking and shooting session for SA?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Shuttertastic

Dude, don't you say this is from Scouts training again, what you are cooking is definately leagues above your camp food.

What amazes me is that you alternate between your wok and camera and have to keep the latter oil free!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Shutter Lord

Waaaaaah...... You're quite a cook!