Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Photography > Street Photography, Urban & Candid
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 04-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Shutter Starter

I disagree with people who disagrees to more than one way to take a picture. I can shoot from my butt if that is my purpose. So there's nothing to condemn here. Not all of us are trying to be masters. An image taken is the representation of the way we see our world. HCB or Joe Wig or McNally or you or me all see things differently and that is reflected in our works. Otherwise it'd be boring.

On a technical note, I think the overexposures are a necessary evil, since you're exposing for the facial shadows. Yeah, some of you may suggest changing the framing or other ideas, but in the end, it boils down to personal preference.

No harm ya.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Shutterfreak

thanks jassed for your views. Yeah I believe each style has its own merit.

Probably I need to practice more to make it less snapshots only as LameNoob has highlighted in my previous post that even a kid can do the shot I posted. I still trying to figure the definition of lamenoob snapshot and how a kid & someone with a camera can do the same...

Like Gilden style, some might not agree with the way he took his shot. But the expression on those subject to me is priceless. And the subject has no relation to the environment at all.... This is one type of SP that I would not try, hahaha as sure kena hatam...
Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Shutterfreak

So much have been discussed about styles, ways, angles, gears etc - its all subjective lah.

When you get famous one day, your worst shots will be marveled as master pieces

peace brothers ! and enjoy shooting the Frank Sinatra Way !
Old 04-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Shuttertastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SooHK View Post
Probably I need to practice more to make it less snapshots only as LameNoob has highlighted in my previous post that even a kid can do the shot I posted. I still trying to figure the definition of lamenoob snapshot and how a kid & someone with a camera can do the same...

Like Gilden style, some might not agree with the way he took his shot. But the expression on those subject to me is priceless. And the subject has no relation to the environment at all.... This is one type of SP that I would not try, hahaha as sure kena hatam...
Nice series from u as usual! And lately I see u often play with ur new toy which is a small yet powerful toy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
So much have been discussed about styles, ways, angles, gears etc - its all subjective lah.

I agree with u ! When one get famous, viewer perception will change
Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Shutter Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SooHK View Post
oh yeah lamenoob one more thing, u seen joewig image? I think his image that won him the WNYC SP is good to me. What about you?
well no offense, but i dont see anything joewig in your photos. what he done is different. he have a feel in his shots. i dont think he just snapshot whatever he can? brain is a dangerous thing, but yes what you need it to 'feel' it. let your instinct talk. but if youre just doing snapshots, then you lacking both. you get what i mean? the reason why people like HCB and most westereners become famous for their works(even though we Asians found nothing special about them) is because they put "feelings" into their photos. putting feelings into a frame is not a simple thing, some say its gifted. i dont mean to shatter your ego, but i believe if you put more interest in this you could come up with better works that you can stand out from the crowd and you yourself can appreciate for years to come.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 AM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post

Thanks Garlic, I share the same thoughts as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdaddy View Post
Nice series from u as usual! And lately I see u often play with ur new toy which is a small yet powerful toy

I agree with u ! When one get famous, viewer perception will change
Yeaj newdaddy, weekend fill with fashion shows hence no time for SP.. So with the newtoy I am trying out all kinds of SP hence you could see the differrence in my previous SP pic.. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamenoob View Post
well no offense, but i dont see anything joewig in your photos. what he done is different. he have a feel in his shots. i dont think he just snapshot whatever he can? brain is a dangerous thing, but yes what you need it to 'feel' it. let your instinct talk. but if youre just doing snapshots, then you lacking both. you get what i mean? the reason why people like HCB and most westereners become famous for their works(even though we Asians found nothing special about them) is because they put "feelings" into their photos. putting feelings into a frame is not a simple thing, some say its gifted. i dont mean to shatter your ego, but i believe if you put more interest in this you could come up with better works that you can stand out from the crowd and you yourself can appreciate for years to come.
Joewig did his image during his lunch time too. If you look at his youtube link, there are instances he stand beside the traffic light with his back facing the subject and his camera just pointing towards the subject and click. As for Gilden his style is he just walks up to the subject and click with flash head on. For Matt Stuart is he include the surrounding with his image, foreground and background linking with the subject. My thoughts on HCB is that his image is definitely very good and have a feel to it but HCB type of image is just a starting point for SP and not the full stop. Hence I am broadening my mind to include others as a mixture.

Decisive moment, I interpret in such a way is that photogs can stand and wait for it. What about those who just seek for it? Example 2 photogs, one waited for an hour for the moment and one photogs walking past the subject and at the same "interesting moment" both click.

Yeah lamenoob, I agree instinct needs to be sharpen and one definitely need to differentiate a snapshot and a good shot. Hence at those moment be it you stand there for hours or you are just passing by you are ready to click. As no one takes 100% good shot, as we start to grow we will know more on how to pick up the good shot and move the bad to rubbish bin.... I also hope you could share your shots too and thanks for your coment..and cheers have a good week, I am off to Macau for some more snapshots...

Last edited by SooHK; 04-07-2009 at 07:57 AM..
Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Shutter Fan

do not underestimate the shots taken by kids, give a pns to a 8-year-old kids for a day, then you'll know what i meant.

lots of their shots are actually quite "well thought of" with the logic only the kids will understand, and the perception of the world that you and me have lost after we've grown up.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by swleong View Post
do not underestimate the shots taken by kids, give a pns to a 8-year-old kids for a day, then you'll know what i meant.

lots of their shots are actually quite "well thought of" with the logic only the kids will understand, and the perception of the world that you and me have lost after we've grown up.
Yeah I agree as shots taken by anyone shows the way the photogs see the world. Hence even if a P&S given to a granddad is powerful tool.

Even our cultures or the way we were brought up makes a differrent. I posted some of the same photos to 3 differrent forums which located in 3 differrent cultures/parts of the world, the comments is differrent. SA is the last place I posted. Hence its amazing to see some of the difference and allows me to understand more. In one forum after I said I took it from the hip, they posted the way of a friends that tries a total differrent way to SP. A P&S modified to look like a phone. Strange but its true.

I have also flip through a book on shots taken by vision disable photogs. You will be suprised as how they see the world...

I hope I could one day to do that successfully to convey my view at the point I click to the viewer, the road its long but with constructive comments all of us can make it even a slow learner like me... Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Shutter Fan

SooHK, I've been following up most of your street shots in this forum. I like most of them, but this series is a mixed bags imo.

I like:-

#1, if witout the girls at b/g would be better imo
#5, even with the half-cut head, just like it
#6, classic SooHK style!
#10, if without the guai lo at the back would be better imo
Old 04-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Shutterfreak

IMHO, different people have different preference in doing street shooting/candid. positive debate is good, but just do not turn it into personal attack, that's it.