Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Gear & Technique > Nikon Equipment
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 05-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Shutter Fan

Tamron Sucks or Me?

I bought a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 with build-in motor together with D300 recently. I used it for my first non-FOC wedding business and almost 50% of my shots are not 100% in focus.

Those that are in focus look sharp, I like them. But I get very frustrated when I see those shots that I composed well but not 100% in focus. This often happen during low light condition. I can't stop it, as most of u might have known, a lot of scenes in a wedding are indoor.

I know the lens need slightly more time than my previous Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX to focus. I patiently waited for the beep before I release the shutter. But sadly some of them still came out to be not sharp.

Some background about myself to make this discussion more effective: I was a D70 user and had been shooting for 3 year. Shot many FOC friend's wedding and was doing fine with my Nikkor except that the exposure was poor during low light due to D70 poor ISO performance and small aperture. I have good control over my shutter speed and ISO when I was using D300. ISO800 + 1/100sec for most of my indoor shots.

Some friends in Flickr who is using the same lens were telling me that I should only use the center focusing point in order for this lens to perform. Is that really the case? Need more ppl who used this lens before to tell me.

If this sad story continues, I will have to look for the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 very soon. That implies more cost

p/s: i dont have any example shots now. as the processing is not done yet.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Shutterfreak

we have a tt session at e-gate Star bucks tonite around 8pm, refer to the thread in Event.

bring ur camera and lens.... then we can try and talk there..........

well, just my opinion.... i prefer shooting with at least f/4 in events.....

My photos at SMUGMUG.

Last edited by desaintlights; 05-30-2008 at 11:52 AM..
Old 05-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Shutter Fan

Forgive me, I am new.... What is "tt"? What do u guys do there? Who are the ppl attending?
Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Shutter Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_siong View Post
Forgive me, I am new.... What is "tt"? What do u guys do there? Who are the ppl attending?
tt>teh tarik,
do? poison each other with their gears , hehe
who? the ones sharing the same passion in photography as u are
Old 05-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Shutterfreak

TT > Teh Tarik, Technical Talk, in layman term a group of ppl gathering to talk of some thing in same intrest in this case, Photography talk...

And I do think is u not the lens... hehe! no offence ya
Old 05-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Serious Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_siong View Post
I bought a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 with build-in motor together with D300 recently. I used it for my first non-FOC wedding business and almost 50% of my shots are not 100% in focus.

Those that are in focus look sharp, I like them. But I get very frustrated when I see those shots that I composed well but not 100% in focus. This often happen during low light condition. I can't stop it, as most of u might have known, a lot of scenes in a wedding are indoor.

I know the lens need slightly more time than my previous Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX to focus. I patiently waited for the beep before I release the shutter. But sadly some of them still came out to be not sharp.

Some background about myself to make this discussion more effective: I was a D70 user and had been shooting for 3 year. Shot many FOC friend's wedding and was doing fine with my Nikkor except that the exposure was poor during low light due to D70 poor ISO performance and small aperture. I have good control over my shutter speed and ISO when I was using D300. ISO800 + 1/100sec for most of my indoor shots.

Some friends in Flickr who is using the same lens were telling me that I should only use the center focusing point in order for this lens to perform. Is that really the case? Need more ppl who used this lens before to tell me.

If this sad story continues, I will have to look for the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 very soon. That implies more cost

p/s: i dont have any example shots now. as the processing is not done yet.
I use a lot of this lens for events even i already have nikkor 17-55, it's light (good for few hours job) and i found the sharpess is even better than my nikkor 17-55 (need to send back to Nikon for calibration, unfortunely need to wait 1-2 months)

I don't encunter any problem when use it in off centre focus, works well in low light although a bit slow but still accurate to the targeted object. I'm a very particular person in sharpness, most of time will open those captured images in 100% view, this lens works well and without any problem like what you mention, recommend you to test your friend unit, if problem still persist, i think your D300 need to send back to Nikon.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Shuttertastic

I used the 17-50mm combined with the D300 and never face any problems in terms of sharpness at all.

First of all, what is your definition of sharp? Sharp at 100% crop or when you say it is not 100% sharp, is it like 90% sharp (soft image)? I think its takes longer for you to write that post than to process at least 1 sample image to show how unsharp the image is right? I am sure an example would let others here help you out
Old 05-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Shutter Council

when i used my tamron (without built-in motor), there was one incident when most of my photos OOF. and yes, the lighting was a bit poor. that happened after i used the lens for more than 6 months. so i thought, maybe it is a back/front focus issue. so i went to the shop where i bought it. i tested the lens using a proper method which involved a piece of paper with a lot of lines and scales. i tested the lens, and the lens was fine. after that, i never encounter that problem again. served me good until i sold it to a photographer who takes great photos.

so i think, there is a glitch/flaw in the design. if you have the moolah, just go straight for great Nikkor lenses, IMHO.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Shutter God

I never have any problems with this lens in low light conditions, it can hunt if you don't find a contrast area and it's not that fast because it's not AF-S.

BTW the version with the built in motor is recommended for D40/D60 users only, it focuses slower than the version without the motor..

D300 you can adjust back/front focus for each lens too if there's any problems.

I shoot at around f/4 1/15-1/50 with this lens for events and it's razor sharp edge to edge.

Center focus point is safer for all lenses because it's the strongest focus point, most likely it'll lock easier.

I don't have any problem using all focus point though, honestly a lot depends on your technique and if you understand how the camera works.

Ok for reference I better include some pics...most of these was taken in very dark environment.

EXIF for all are intact.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Shutter Council

ot a bit ah

wow ST yr pics rocks, did not know that 1/3 to 1/6th could produce razor sharpies.