Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Shutter Asia Others > Chit-Chat & Off-Topic
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 07-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Serious Shutter

no my wedding pics on the internet?

Is it possible to tie down a contract which stated that the photographers hired shall not publish our wedding photos anywhere on the internet (commercial purpose as in fotopage or companys websites or just for fun as in forums like this)? Or you could just ask them to respect ur request? i dont like my pics being posted without my permission..

I just happen to know friends that didnt even know their wedding pics are on the internet until some relatives found them while browsing fotopages..
Old 07-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Shutter Council

why not its your right ? get the photographer to sign the document (a document which could be a simple draft on the agreed course of action by both parties vice versa) in front of you with probably a few witnesses and if you wanna make it legal ( i always advise this better to make things legal as i trust the LAW more than anything else) and u can get it confirmed at the commissioner of oath and paste a govt stamp. A Commisioner of Oath would be able to verify such simple agreements.

Dont go to lawyers the fees would cost more than your wedding heh....

For my case, i'm not in the photo business line, but i always ensure my contracts and agreements are legalised in various avenues which is provided under the law so that both parties would have a general understanding on what is expected and the deliverables at the end of the day.

IMHO
It might a bit of hassle to head to the commissioner of oath well if you value privacy and a more professional approach rather than just *i will not publish your pictures online from the photographer* do this approach.

Both parties will have an understanding once you can do settle this *pictures posted* and both will be happy. photographer gets his keep while you get your memories cherished for eternity.

This is all my opinion, as i would chose this approach in any form of $$ agreement irrespective of the amount involved. Peace of mind as u shall say.

oh yea why would i choose a legal approach as well, people tend to be more cautious and careful if there are elements of a contractual agreement to it.

We trust our words, but we can have a binding agreement to ensure that trust is kept and agreed and understood.

Noone dares to deviate from a written contractual agreement unless there is a prior discussion or agreement to it.

That way, both parties would know whats best for themselves.

To deviate from it, is to open yourself to various well problems.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Shutter Fan

Normally what I do is that I have express permission from the client even though they may have signed all their rights to us during the contract signing.

What happens here is that I'll reconfirm with them after all pictures are delivered before I put up their pix online at my website.

Sometimes didn't see the customer again for a few years. Then see them ask them verbally if it's ok. If they say ok, go ahead, then I post it online.

That's why sometimes my website don't get updated often. What's up there is only a VERY,VERY small fraction of what I've done over the years.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Shutter Council

that should be the way jetfyn is right...he's in the industry for so many years his reputations shouts louder than words itself
Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Serious Shutter

hey, thank you both of you Leslie and jetfynn for your explanation and advice. i might be getting married in a year or two so this topic interests me a lot. i wish i cd hire some photogs who are as professional as you are mr jeftynn. Maybe you could be the one. who knows till then thanks for this enlightenment
Old 07-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Shutter God

Jet is oldskool and has respect for his clients.

If you read most photographic contracts it will state the photographer has rights to use the pictures taken in a portfolio, which nowadays is generally online.

If you don't want them to publish your pictures anywhere online or use them for portfolio you have to ask them expressly and in some cases you may have to pay more.

Most will put them on their site automatically and post in forums too.

Me? I don't publish anything online unless given permission too, and I make sure it's understood in the contract before hand.

I'll make sure the client understands that it's likely to be on Flickr, my blog and any future portfolio site.

But not everyone is like that.

In some ways it reminds of wedding photography a few years ago, even though you've paid RM3-4000 for your wedding photos you don't actually own the intellectual property, and you don't get the negatives.

You just get a certain number of print-outs, cards, postcards and the big albums in various sizes.

Only 2-3 years later you get the negatives for extra money.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Shutter Council

i never did any PAID event (wedding/engagement) photoshoot.
all of my photoshoots were done as favors to family & close-friends.
but if u can see in my online photoblog, i never did published them even though i got permission from them.
i did this for various reasons.

but mainly because i'm afraid that some people out there might exploit the photos for unhealthy purposes especially after i heard some freaks in flickr who have fetish on girls wearing hijjab lurking and browsing through the stream. the freaks were said to have a bondage sex-group.

i have no problem posting normal shots.
the thought of someone screwing themselves over my family & friends wedding/engagement photos just freaks me out.
plus, it is disgusting!

well, that's me of course.
some people will definitely have different thoughts.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Shutter Fan

A professional wedding photographer will never use wedding photos online despite having their clients sign an agreement to hand over all rights to the photos to the said photographer. Express permission must be sought first, better yet, an explicitly-worded clause in the agreement.

Otherwise, it can be counted as an invasion of one's privacy and right of enjoyment. I think most pros like Jet will never put wedding photos online without the couple's permission. The wedding photog I hired for my wedding had the same policy too. Any photog that does otherwise....it's definitely NOT a pro.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Shutter Ninja

I have noticed in the past where people have commented that wedding studios have used pics of clients in their shop windows or banners (big big) WITHOUT prior consent. Later to find out that the agreement signed for the job gave them permission to do so...

I hope this doesn;t happen anymore as i think it's unscrupulous as most ppl wouldn;t bother to read the fine print...

Anyhows, let the buyer beware...

In a matter of law (as far as i know) ur image cannot be used for anu commercial purposes without your consent, however, editorial content or non-commercial purpose is permissable (dependant on usage).
Old 07-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Shutter God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky View Post
In a matter of law (as far as i know) ur image cannot be used for anu commercial purposes without your consent, however, editorial content or non-commercial purpose is permissable (dependant on usage).
Legally this is correct, but the fact is when you sign that contract with the wedding studio it's your responsibility to read it all as you are signing all your rights away.

You give them full permission to use the images for commercial and advertising purposes.

So there's nothing much you can do, apart from find another studio which doesn't have such stupid terms.