Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Gear & Technique > Philosophy & Technique of Photography
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Shutter Council

Your view on Fine Art Wedding Photography

i've always wanna been asking this question.
how do you define a "fine art pre wedding photo" ?
especially the word FINE.

M Y P H O T O B L O G

i dont need to produce great photos to call myself an artist.
i just need to produce blur photos to praise myself as one.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM
New Shutter User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhan View Post
i've always wanna been asking this question.
how do you define a "fine art pre wedding photo" ?
especially the word FINE.
I think this particular definition is very very very subjective, especially when it is Art related. To us, it would be turning a regular shot into a piece of 'artwork' rather then just a piece of photo. Others may have their own definition, but as I mentioned earlier, it is subjective and there's no right or wrong in it. Cheers!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Shutter Council

then again, just any regular piece of photo if composed nicely and technically lit up properly can also be an artwork. Of course I agree with you on the "no right or wrong" in the naming convention. But FINE ART? That's something I have been pondering for a while now.

Because all I see is massive dodge and burn, with oversharpening and probably a lot of LUCISART going on in there. Of course the recipe to PP can vary so much its almost endless.

Dont get me wrong, I dont mean to diss your work. If its fineart to you, and you are happy with them and making bucks with it - then good for ya... this is purely something out from the norms of common books which i am bringing up for discussion's sake.

M Y P H O T O B L O G

Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 AM
New Shutter User

Quote:
then again, just any regular piece of photo if composed nicely and technically lit up properly can also be an artwork. Of course I agree with you on the "no right or wrong" in the naming convention. But FINE ART? That's something I have been pondering for a while now.

Because all I see is massive dodge and burn, with oversharpening and probably a lot of LUCISART going on in there. Of course the recipe to PP can vary so much its almost endless.

Dont get me wrong, I dont mean to diss your work. If its fineart to you, and you are happy with them and making bucks with it - then good for ya... this is purely something out from the norms of common books which i am bringing up for discussion's sake.
That's why I mentioned that it is very subjective. Nope, no heart feelings bro. Many people have the same question that lingers in their mind. Cheers!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Shutter Fan

Seems like the trend of fine art these days is either turning a photo into B&W, Sephia, or just make everything dark and brighten up the subject.

Isn't wedding a happy event in life and should be bright, colorful and warm feeling?

Just my 2 cents :-)
Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Shuttertastic

Quote:
Because all I see is massive dodge and burn, with oversharpening and probably a lot of LUCISART going on in there.
yeah, it seems most people are calling this type of PP-ing as fine art these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc View Post
Seems like the trend of fine art these days is either turning a photo into B&W, Sephia, or just make everything dark and brighten up the subject.

Isn't wedding a happy event in life and should be bright, colorful and warm feeling?

from what i've been seeing this days, the supposedly 'fine-art' PP-ing are usually used for pre-wedding photos. where as the actual day photos are commonly still bright and colorful...

but i think as long as clients are happy and willing to pay for whateva we call it (fine-art, lucisart, etc), its all good.....

From my undErstanding, theRE aRE no ruLEz... just REsults...
gregemmanuel.wordpress.com | Ma Flick

Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Shutter Council

i still think the term fineart is overly used and abused, as a marketing keyword for pre wedding shooters thesedays. coupled with a french or spanish track for a slideshow, boom... ya get to impress people, when the viewers dun even understand a nut word of french of spanish.

ya. fine art - mah... your not supposed to understand wan!

M Y P H O T O B L O G

Old 02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Shuttertastic

Wow, wedding shot in a cemetery?
The couple were for real or just models?

Anyway, these are not fine art. More like Photoshop.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Shutter Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc View Post

the reason why for darkening the rest of the place is to make emphasis on the subject as the primary focal point; because our eyes tend to pick up bright areas first than dark ones when we first look at a photo.

Ordinary photograph with a flat lighting exposure will not be able to achieve this. so, this method of PP is to create a fake lighting ala strobist method. here's my take to why this method is kinda like the "in thing now".

1. almost everyone with a DSLR can shoot flatly lit photo. and this is even more evident when one needs to shoot wide to capture the background scenes as well.

2. not everyone, and this includes people who claims to be professional wedding / pre wedding shooters, KNOWS HOW TO SHOOT WITH OFF-CAMERA LIGHTING METHOD

3. Faking this lighting method is easier...a LOT more easier. You dont need a lighting assitant. Everything can be photoshopped.

4. This is the most important point. You have the word FINE ART to cover up and it sells. I think the two words of "IT SELLS" should be capitalized here. LOL.

just my one dollar.

ps. astroboy : its subjective ma.... like i claim my works to be SIPEK FINE GEH FINE ART© . Lol....

M Y P H O T O B L O G

Old 02-09-2011, 10:05 PM
New Shutter User

Label your work FINE ART and IT SELLS?

"i still think the term fineart is overly used and abused, as a marketing keyword for pre wedding shooters thesedays. coupled with a french or spanish track for a slideshow, boom... ya get to impress people, when the viewers dun even understand a nut word of french of spanish."

Well, imo its not the term 'Fine Art' that sells one's work. Its their work, presentation and their attitude as a professional that sells their work. A well taken photo, well post produced photo coupled with a matching song as slideshow will definitely impress anyone who sees it as it creates a sensation that just takes your breath away, well, unless you don't have feelings, or refuse to acknowledge that well made slideshow and think you can do a better job. Then it will be just another piece of wannabe marketing tool to one or perhaps something else.

One thing about producing fake lights in post production. Please allow me to correct you on this matter. It is not as easy as you said it is. If it is that easy, professional wedding photographers wont be conducting workshops around the globe to sell their techniques and people wont be signing up for their workshops to learn the techniques. It would be the case of "Wana learn photoshop? Go Youtube!" Well, post production in Photoshop requires a set of new skills, and believe me, it is as hard as taking your shots on site.

Your take on "This is the most important point. You have the word FINE ART to cover up and it sells". Simple, try get a badly shot photo, a badly and not well post produce photo, label it fine art, then sell it. If it sells, I will just shut up and slap my own face. Clients are not blind. They see and know what is nice and what is not. It just happen that the 'dark and moody' feeling the 'Fine Artist' creates suits most of people's taste. Simple as that.

I am not saying this because I know just a little bit of photoshop and wana act clever. But I think Fine Art has become an acknowledge term in the wedding photography industry and they deserve much respect as other styles or technique. And with all due respect, it shouldn't be trashed by saying; one who do Fine Art will sell, because we are using a rather 'myseterious' terms coupled with some non-understandable languaged music. I just think we should just respect each and every style that exist in photography

As for "not everyone, and this includes people who claims to be professional wedding / pre wedding shooters, KNOWS HOW TO SHOOT WITH OFF-CAMERA LIGHTING METHOD". I personally know top photographers in the Wedding Industry who uses only natural and available lighting to shoot and is NOT a Fine Artist. This might sound weird to you, but their work sells! Like hot cake! So would you assume they use some sort of 'magical terms' to capture their clients? Answer is NO! So how did they do it? Well, thats something we all have to crack our head on

The thing is, every photographer, and this includes Wedding Photographers, are unique. We all bare our own unique ways to show the world what we see in our heart thru our camera's. There's no right or wrong in our work, and there's no such thing as labeling oneself as 'Fine Art Photographer' sells. One's work sell is because one has manage to create a visual that captures heart of many, simple as that. Nothing more.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kennfoo For This Useful Post:
gshot (02-09-2011), JackJack (02-21-2011), lil_piggy2 (02-21-2011)