Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Photography > Sports, Transport & Action
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Serious Shutter

#43. Daniel Ricciardo of Scuderia Toro Rosso.

#44. Nico Hulkenberg of Sahara Force India F1 Team

#45. Fernando Alonso of Scuderia Ferrari.

#46. Romain Grosjean of Lotus F1 Team.

#47. Nico Rosberg of Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team.

With that shot of Rosberg, I left the entrance and head back to the Media Centre to off load all the morning shots and prepare for Formula 1 Free Practice One that’s about to start around 1000.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:13 AM
Serious Shutter

Halfway back to the Media Centre I was stopped by security who demanded that I showed him my camera. That was weird. I had all the clearance and the proper pass to be at the paddock, so why did he stop me? When I handed him my camera he told me that I lacked the security tag on my gear. Puzzled, I asked him isn’t my media pass was enough? No. Apparently the camera needed a security sticker. Something new for 2012 and I’m supposed to get it from Pat Behar of FIA. Hoookay.

#48. Photographers drying out their camera and lenses after encountering severe condensation on their gears after moving out from the super cold Media Centre to the warm humid outside air. That there were probably hundreds of thousands worth of gears!

After taking that amusing scene I went into the Media Centre and off loaded the photos. I sat down for a while to recover and rechecked Friday’s schedule with everyone to make sure they all know where they were supposed to be for the whole day.

Then I remembered that I had to get my gears ‘checked’.

#49. So I went to see Pat and he gave me this. Word around is that the sticker is kind of hard to remove.

In fact I still see it plastered on a few cameras of other photographers long after Formula 1 circus had left town. In a way it’s kind of a ‘badge of honour’ for some of us. When we see that fluorescent green sticker on a camera body, we know he or she went through the trials and tribulation of the 2012 Formula 1 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix.

Around 09:30 I flagged a Media Shuttle and head for my assigned spot for F1 Free Practice One, Turn 2 inside.

#50. Daniel Ricciardo leading Kamui Kobayashi into Turn 2.

#51. Pastor Maldonado of Williams F1 Team. Note the white visualisation paint on the rear wings of his car that Williams uses to test the airflow around the car.

#52. Fernando Alonso blasting past the Malaysian Flag mural on his way to Turn 3.

Last edited by Exarkun; 04-26-2012 at 08:37 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Serious Shutter

#53. Pedro De La Rosa of HRT F1 Team.

#54. Vitaly Petrov of Caterham F1 Team. He replaced journeyman Jarno Trulli before the season started in Melbourne.

The first practice was about 1 ˝ hour long. I stayed around Turn 1, 2 and 3 for the whole session, taking shots for SIC. That meant shooting with high shutter speeds to ensure sharp cars and also to include track branding that littered the track. That’s the difference between shooting for oneself and for shooting for somebody else.

We had to get every car and every team at every angle and at every turn. We had to get shots that would be useful for them to use for their magazine, books, advertising, banners, buntings, postcards and etc. It made shooting F1 tedious but I was more than happy to do it.

The rest of the team were doing the same at other turns I assigned them. Once I got most of the necessary shots, I started to play a little by lowering down the shutter speeds, using bigger aperture for shallower depth of field and playing with wider and tighter shots. What I could, I shot. What I couldn’t, I left for maybe the other days.

#55. After the session was over I head back to the Media Centre and off loaded the photos and took a breather. Up next was GP2 practice but I had a different team assigned for it. I was already kinda drained out from the first session and it was only the first session!

Before I knew it, it was time to head out to the pit lane for the first of the many Pit Walk sessions of the weekend.

#56. Charles Pic (middle) of Marussia F1 Team.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Serious Shutter

#57.

#58.

#59.

#60. That’s a GP2 car. Not the Lotus F1 car.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Serious Shutter

#61. Scuderia Ferrari pit wall.

#62. Formula 1 – even for the disabled.

#63. When this placard appears, it’s time to leave.

#64. Not before taking a shot of a wall of tyres.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Serious Shutter

I only had about 20 minutes to grab whatever lunch was available at the Media Centre before Formula 1 Second Free Practice begins. I wolfed down as quickly as I could while the laptop sucked all available photos from the memory cards.

With maybe 10 minutes to spare I rushed to the Shuttle area and hopped on board to go to Turn 2 outside for FP2.

#65. Jenson Button of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes at Turn 1.

#66. Comeback kid and 2007 World Champion Kimi Raikonnen at Turn 2 outside.

#67. Heiki Kovalainen of Caterham F1 Team with his Rovio Angry Birds sponsored helmet.

#68. Paul di Resta of Sahara Force India F1 Team at Turn 1.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Serious Shutter

#69. Double World Champion Sebastian Vettel at Turn 1.

#70. Nico Rosberg of Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team. This is an example of a track branding shot.

#71. Formula 1 returnee (he drove the back end of 2009 for ING Renault) Romain Grosjean of Lotus F1.

I stayed at Turn 1 and Turn 2 outside for the duration of FP2. When it was over I sat at one corner of the access road and waited for the shuttle to come and pick me up. After what seemingly ages, one came along and I flagged it.

Back at the Media Centre I rushed to the Press Conference Room for the Team Press Conference Session while the other set of members from the team stayed on the track for GP2 qualifying.

#72. Martin Whitmarsh of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, Stefano Domenicali of Scuderia Ferrari, Christian Horner of Red Bull Racing, Gerard Lopez of Lotus F1, Monisha Kaltenborn of Sauber F1 Team and Riad Asmat of Caterham F1 during the Team Press Conference session.

Last edited by Exarkun; 04-26-2012 at 08:40 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Serious Shutter

When the press conference was over I went back to my desk and plonked down for a break. I scrounged up whatever food I could find and gulped them as quickly as I could.

I also had a look at the shots of other team members as they came back from their assignments. We started showing each other our shots and criticised and complement the photos each of us had.

Around 1730 I decided to wander around the paddock to get some paddock lifestyle shots.

#73. Caught Michael Schumacher.

#74. Caught Kimi Raikonnen on the phone.

#75. The Ferrari duo of Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:25 AM
Serious Shutter

1800 came and I was told to help cover the grid girls practicing on the track.

#76. Girls listening intently as the minders instructed them how to behave on the grid.

#77. The thorn among the roses? Hehe…

#78. They practice all the way until sunset.

After the grid girls practice session I went back to the Media Centre and started to off load and processed shots of that day and handed them to our photo guy.

When it was done I left the circuit and head back home, dump the gears onto the floor in the room, lie down on the bed and fell asleep instantly.

To be continued...
Old 04-26-2012, 07:22 AM
Serious Shutter

SATURDAY 24th April 2012

I arrived at the circuit on Saturday slightly late and as a result I had to rush to the Media Centre to prepare my gears and the laptops. By the time I finished setting up I realised that I had missed my allocated slot for capturing arrivals though other members of the team were already at the entrance capturing them.

At around 09:30 the Chief called me up and said that I’m needed to catch the Petronas Grid Girls in their Saturday outfit. My task, to get them in a group, all 52 (I think) of them, and pose them on the track with the grandstand as a background.

I rushed down to the designated area, and waited for them. The models' agents wanted more photographers to come and shoot them all at once but after waiting for almost 45 minutes, no one else appeared. By the time they decided to go ahead with it, MSS Race 1 started and it was impossible to get them on to the track for the shoot. After consulting with the handlers we decided to wait for another time when the track is not in use.

I went back up to the Media Centre and waited for my next scheduled item, GP2 Race 1. Meanwhile I sat down and discussed with a few members of the team regarding their schedule and made minor changes. Although we had the schedule pretty tight we had to leave it open for changes should ad-hoc events suddenly appear and requires our services.

When it was almost for GP2 Race 1 to start, I trekked back to the starting grid.

#79. The grid girls preparing to go out on to the starting grid.

#80. Being a grid girl is a tiring job. Some wanted to faint being under the hot sun for so long.

When I had taken every single girl holding the grid board, I ran to the shuttle area and boarded one to go to Turn 2 inside for the start of the race. I got there with barely seconds to spare when the GP2 cars started roaring past.

#81. GP2 Race 1 start.

I stayed at Turn 2 inside for a bit before venturing to Turn 3 and 4 during the one hour GP2 race time.

It was at Turn 4 that I had a sudden realisation that I might have missed assigning someone to catch the race finish and podium. Crap! I tried to find a shuttle to get me back to the podium but none was around!

With no options, I ran with all my gears from Turn 4 inside all the way to the podium area. Thankfully it was not THAT far but try running with all your gears strapped around you. My shoulders felt like separating from the rest of my body.

When I got to the podium area I found out I was right, no one was there. I leaned on the pit wall and tried to catch my breath and silently thank god that I managed to realise my error early.

#82. Luiz Razia of Arden International crossing the finish line in first place. I was late to the pit wall and by that time it was already packed with photographers. I couldn’t squeeze myself a gap so I decided to raise my camera over them and just fired blindly!

#83. Winner Luiz Razia, David Valsecchi of DAMS (left) in 2nd place and Max Chilton of Carlin (right) in 3rd place.

Last edited by Exarkun; 04-26-2012 at 08:41 AM..