Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Gear & Technique > Philosophy & Technique of Photography
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 11-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Shutter Council

Wedding Photography : Code of conduct & Professionalism (Discussion Thread)

This might be an interesting this to discuss among those wedding photographers, and also serve as an info board for those who wanna be in the frontline of shooting wedding.

When I say wedding, I mean the real day thingy. When the couple exchange vows, or may it be the "chum cha" ceremony., or bersanding etc. Lets not pull ROM or bridal photography into this.

The first thing I would wanna point out is this:

Should wedding photographers work in a discreet manner in order to avoid interfering with the wedding process? What are your code of conducts when it comes to shooting weddings?

M Y P H O T O B L O G

i dont need to produce great photos to call myself an artist.
i just need to produce blur photos to praise myself as one.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Shutter Fan

Respect the ceremony, of course. Minimize(not eliminates) distractions. Do not interfere the flow of service order. But come to photograph session, you are the king of the court.

*Smile a lot, I mean A LOT* ;p

You should enjoy the Romance and Joyful atmosphere as well.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Serious Shutter

Minimum interference, asked the client type of photos needed to take like more portrait or candid shots etc. Some shots are to our liking, but not necessary to our client's liking.

Dress smart, but not too smart.

Yup, agree with andy, should enjoy the joyful and romance atmosphere with them. If I can blend into the event is the best !
Old 11-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Shutter Starter

my 2 cents if I may add is that some churches do not really like photographers flashing off and moving about.

I guess sitting down with BG and all parties involved (parents,wedding planner,ministers,priest) and getting consent and know what and what not to do is a very professional and respectful gesture.

Some parents may feel that a photographer who moves in way beyond personal boundary limits to get a better shot would be annoying . In this instance, well, courtesy and respect is important. We are in fact shooting the show and we are not the show.Neither do we interrupt the show.

Cheers.

my respects..
Old 11-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Shutter Council

LOL. dat said, i've come across a photog whose mobile phone went ringing over and over again and again thruout the church mass. typical ahpek photog in his 40's i think. he also made the pastor stand at 45 degree angle so he can get a shot of both the bride and groom with the pastor's face intact :O

personally - im developing a style where i reduce to the verge of elimination of asking the couples to pose for me. which is why i love to use the 70-200mm

M Y P H O T O B L O G

Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Shutter Starter

yes, the 70-200 is a great tool. I am stuck in between saving for the IS 2.8 version and the f4 IS version.....but these are great tools for candid. When I shoot weddings (for family and close friends as a gift) I love candid.

I just bought my 580 EX II yesterday. Going to shoot for a colleague in Penang. She paying for the accomodations 3 days. So officially,this is my first assignment. any tips on using the flash?

Posed shots are great but catching the live and natural expressions really bring the storybook to life.

I have heard of this guy who got sucked into tunnel vision/sniper mode that he backed into a chair. Thank God not a table or some props.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Shutter Council

I'm using the F4L IS version. Great piece of glass minus the weight and bulk.
it doesnt grab that much attention and thats great for me.

so you got the canon's greatest flash (for the time being ) eh! congrats! careful with em and make sure u dun get shadowwy brides ok!

M Y P H O T O B L O G

Old 11-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Shutter Starter

i know..Canon likes to make a good thing..then out of no where, got new Mk or better model...590ex or 630 ex whatever ....soon going to be like computers...ahhahaha..

anyways, I really need a lot of guidance to taking photos with flash, this is my first flash and not that easy.

got to get tips from everyone.

Well, this is becoming a how to post. Not a post on wedding photography etiquette. sorry for that.

Do we have a HOW TO / TEACH ME post in SA or do we just post in the relevant topics?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Shutterfreak

Mobile phones should be kept silent if possible. It is the biggest day of the new couple and for a photographer to ruin it by saying...

"HELLO, YA! AT WEDDING SHOOT la....TALK LA..>TALK...Nvm...I BIG TAI KOR...NO WORRY ONE!"

is completely and utterly disgracely...

Of course, i coined it from the Digi ad.

Humility and having a good personality is always important in ensuring that there are smiles instead of & frowns....

Just my 2 cents...=)
Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Shutter Fan

Believe it or not, I have actually been to wedding projects where my presence is actually needed! I tried to be discreet when doing my shots, example when they were wearing that ring for the first time, or that first kiss. (Okay larr.... maybe not the first already larr... ) Sometimes the couple will look at me, and do it s-l-o-w-l-y, purposely for me to take their pictures. Doesn't look natural lar. Besides, having a DSLR, I have already 3 shots by the time they have slowed down properly and turned to face the camera!

Another thing to note is not to hoard the limelight all the time, even though you are the only official photographer. Yes, you have the right to the best angle on the front row, but you must respect the audience too. And also sometimes the relatives might also want to have a shot at the couple, or maybe even a videographer. So play nice.

Just my two cent