Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Gear & Technique > Other Systems & 3rd Party Lenses
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 07-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Serious Shutter

Olympus m43 Gear 2011 Comments/Wishlist...

With the recent release of several noteworthy gear and impending arrival upon my hands of the E-P3 camera with kit lens...I have been pondering some questions regarding m43:

The 'fastest' ultra wide angle prime lens to date from Olympus...a 12mm f2.0...Am I not right to say that despite all the praises heaped upon this lens we are still 4-stops behind say a Nikon D700 with the Nikkor 24mm f1.4?

- E-P3 ISO 800 vs D700 ISO 6400 deemed useable...3 stops FF DSLR Advantage
- Oly 12/2.0 vs Nikkor 24/1.4...1 stop FF DSLR Advantage
- Both only gives mediocre(24mm more..) background blurring as compared longer lenses

That's the case when it comes to a low light situation in which flash is out of the question or 'slow' mode is invoked to fill subjects and give the background a chance or worst, moving subjects in lower light...At the extreme case Oly m43 is behind by 4 stops...

Hmmm...m43 has some way to go before any talk of taking over the DSLR's performance advantage.

Compared DSLR:
Use of m43 limited to light levels giving reasonable ISO/Speed/Aperture...
Use of m43 limited to deep DOF type shots...forget FF type bokeh...
Use of m43 limited to still/slow subjects...unless good light...
Use of m43 when bodily limbs cannot sustain a DSLR...
Use of m43 for limited financial reasons...on par with low-end DSLR now.
Use of m43 for stealth reasons...'cos DSLR too intrusive...

What needs to be done?

All these m43 lenses manufactured now will be so at that limited covering power meant for four thirds sensors...Any larger sensor may not be useable...

Lens like the Nokton 25mm f0.95 levels the playing field a little...faster AF lenses than now are required still across the board...Optical Science at their limits...

M43 sensors requires a breakthrough to ever reach DSLR ISO performance...little wonder APS-C is the fav for competitors...

No wonder Olympus is rumored to remark that a Pen Pro will be years from now!

Meanwhile...continue to enjoy your m43 camera...in good light!!
Serial Poster - Can't wait.. or noreply...
Consumer - Manufacturer -
I stand corrected...if shown to be wrong -
I'm a loud mouth? You're right -

Last edited by yapfookchin; 07-17-2011 at 11:30 AM..
Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Shutter Guardian

I think Olympus understand the market very well.

People nowadays uses DSLR. They find that heavy and big. Compact people tend to hold a DSLR like compact. Always ask how to turn on the screen. m43 just fit in between.

To Olympus, if I read them correctly, they are targeting hobbyist or enthusiast. hobbyist or enthusiast command the major market. This group of people like convenience, fancy feature, shoot video, shoot photo, shoot HDR, shoot everything and shoot a lot. To they, they just want the photo/video nice out of camera, share with friend on the spot, on the web, on print 4R/3R/8R, full stop. Enthusiast may bring it one step to PP the output. To address the shoot a lot requirement, mp can be reduced since web or 8R don't need more than 12mp. I think also the limitation/optimum level of quality vs mp to fit into m43 sensor.

If you ask me what I hope to see for m43. I will tell you full frame 43 (FF43). 4:3 ratio but full frame and have adapter to take m lenses. If Leica can make a compact lens for m9, I don't see any limitation to make a compact lens for FF43.

I like Olympus color very much but still yet to own one because it is x2 crop factor.

my 2 cents

Last edited by calvincychin; 07-17-2011 at 12:04 PM..
Old 07-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Serious Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvincychin View Post
I think Olympus understand the market very well.

People nowadays uses DSLR. They find that heavy and big. Compact people tend to hold a DSLR like compact. Always ask how to turn on the screen. m43 just fit in between.

To Olympus, if I read them correctly, they are targeting hobbyist or enthusiast. hobbyist or enthusiast command the major market. This group of people like convenience, fancy feature, shoot video, shoot photo, shoot HDR, shoot everything and shoot a lot. To they, they just want the photo/video nice out of camera, share with friend on the spot, on the web, on print 4R/3R/8R, full stop. Enthusiast may bring it one step to PP the output. To address the shoot a lot requirement, mp can be reduced since web or 8R don't need more than 12mp. I think also the limitation/optimum level of quality vs mp to fit into m43 sensor.

If you ask me what I hope to see for m43. I will tell you full frame 43 (FF43). 4:3 ratio but full frame and have adapter to take m lenses. If Leica can make a compact lens for m9, I don't see any limitation to make a compact lens for FF43.

I like Olympus color very much but still yet to own one because it is x2 crop factor.

my 2 cents
Agreed...
A word of encouragement to all m43 proponents…

My comparison of the Olympus m43 system with DSLRs taken to mean 35mm (36mm x 24mm) full frame type i.e. Nikon or Canon in no way belittles any one system. Truth be known, it is a moot point to do so...

The m43 system offers what it offers…and many have praised it though some are flabbergasted by it…m43 brings ease of use in smaller size packages that can deliver images similar to serious DSLRs…

In review, opinions of any one system are usually made with references to well known systems, the venerable DSLR(both APS-C, FF) being one…but alas the comparison breaks down right there…being apples and oranges…one might as well pit the DSLR against medium format for that matter.

So if you are a m43 user…know that both Olympus and Panasonic as well as a whole hosts of dedicated 3rd party lens makers(a huge party indeed…) are delivering improvements in lens design which are bringing never before known capabilities to the m43 arena…equalling if not already surpassed DSLRs in the very immeasurable value(or opinions of sorts…) placed on systems taking into account ease of use, performance and pricing all lumped together!

The pros and cons...every system has them...

Just shoot more and more...whatever you have...

Last edited by yapfookchin; 07-19-2011 at 02:54 PM..
Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Serious Shutter

My comments on the Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm f2.0 ....

Pending arrival of course...Why buy such a lens?

Full frame 24mm equivalent...a favourite wide angle of many that balances with less distortion vs wide field of view...

Being a 12mm...DOF is just phenomenally deep...meaning the corner performance will be very good wide open at f2.0!

A 24mm with a full frame camera would have to be shot at f4 to give about the same DOF as this 12mm at f2.0...

Call it a strength of m43 to deliver more DOF (by virtue of 2x crop also..)...else go FF or even more drastic Medium format for crazy thin DOF...

Other aspects of this lens are all over the web reviews!...Google them...

Last edited by yapfookchin; 07-20-2011 at 06:24 PM..
Old 07-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Shutter Guardian

I love to see sample photos of the 12mm f2 from SA members.

btw, where is your usual place to get oly m43 gears?

Last edited by calvincychin; 07-20-2011 at 07:53 PM..
Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Serious Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvincychin View Post
I love to see sample photos of the 12mm f2 from SA members.

btw, where is your usual place to get oly m43 gears?
Hi calvincychin,

Ah, but then...based here in kk, local camera shops...they can usually match worldwide prices as advertised by i.e. adorama, bhphoto, amazon...saving me postage plus local dealer warranty too...most of the time. Pricing inconsistencies for Oly so far has not arisen...unlike Canon or Nikon which can differ by a lot thereby giving rise to grey imports. Stuff like the nokton 25/0.95 from Singapore's distributor Chiif cameras priced cheaper than most ebay resellers. Panasonic lens can be cheaper even with shipping from bhphoto who will post to My! I'm ok with greys but some desire warranties so choice is local..Cheers...
Old 07-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Shutter Fan

I was in KL last weekend and went looking for the EP-3. To my surprise, 2 stores at Midvalley stocked it, with the lowest priced around RM2800 with the kit lens. My take after trying it out:

1) AF is quite fast, I'd say entry-mid range DSLR fast.
2) Feels solid in hand. But still a little slippery as the supplied grip is not big or 'grippy' enough.
3) The default JPEG settings are not great...details looked smeared at higher ISO. Some improvement once NR is set to 0.
4) Touch screen focusing was really good. You really have to try it to know that it's not a mere gimmick. The E-P3 OLED screen is really good too...works pretty well.
5) The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens, which I wanted to buy with the E-P3, still doesn't focus fast enough on it. In fact, focus was faster on a Panny GF2. Salesman was pushing the GF2 to me...he said that he still can't understand Olympus' approach to m43.
6) I still want a good built-in EVF or better yet, an optical hybrid viewfinder like the X100.
7) I couldn't get used to the menu system. The GF2's menu was far more intuitive and user-friendly.

In the end, the price of RM2,800 was a little too much for comfort. My wife was appalled that it costs so close to a DSLR, and so 'forced' me into buying a Nikon D7000 with a 35mm lens. At first I tried to sell the fact that m43 was much smaller than a DSLR but she insisted that the size of the E-P3 with kit lens was still too big for going everywhere so one might as well bring along a DSLR. And you know that women are always right!

To me, M43 is still not fully matured but getting there. I'd like to see more good small prime lenses from Olympus, a better sensor and an OVF please. I feel that the E-P3's price is too close to DSLR pricing; it's certainly more expensive than many entry-level DSLR kits. The size with a kit lens mounted is also quite close to a small DSLR, making the size argument rather weak.

Let's see how the mini-PEN and E-PL3 turns out.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Serious Shutter

Mine arrived today...

Battery still charging...

Some shots of it....Kit lens was so plastic it makes me not want to go through the trouble of buying a filter for it...afterall, my Pana 7-14 for 3x the price couldn't have one!

Like Gojira remarked I retained my VF-2 viewfinder from my last E-P2 kit and a spare battery as well...

I did order the CS-30B leather base jacket which should give a better grip...no stock yet!

The usual views...fill-flash could have helped...

Now to wait for battery....

Last edited by yapfookchin; 07-21-2011 at 06:09 PM..
Old 07-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Shutter Guardian

good for you man... new toy. don't forget to share photos arh... I am thinking between this one and the sony one... quick quick quick... I need poison.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:47 AM
Serious Shutter

Morning all...Very short first impression last night...

My 'bedroom' test of the E-P3 with the 'slow' 14-42 R kit lens had me in awe!...

All that was said of low-light shootability and AF speed was true!...even with the 14-42 'good light' zoom...a bit of hunting(2-3 cycles) but E-P3 will snap the shot! (though some really tough ones it failed!...) I mean I was stress testing the E-P3...pointing it in some dark corners DSLRs will squeal to acquire focus...I'll just say at ridiculously low LV values in which the E-P3 can only see a fuzzy target with its 14-42 zoom.

Perhaps because I had once used the E-P2 which was blind as a bat in low indoor light...the new AF Assist Lamp(good within 15 feet...) has transformed the E-P3 coupled with body IS and flash to allow slow handheld shots comfortably!

Can't wait for the M.Zuiko 12mm f2.0! Will post shots soon...