Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Shutter Asia Others > Chit-Chat & Off-Topic
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 06-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Shutter Council

from photography to videography?

i have this wet dream on trying videography as a platform for me to improve myself in photography as i think both of these two "genres" are closely related to each other.

so i'm looking for a videocamera. perhaps ones with built-in HDD. anyone with videography can give a little advice for me to start exploring videography?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:10 AM
New Shutter User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noruazumi View Post
i have this wet dream on trying videography as a platform for me to improve myself in photography as i think both of these two "genres" are closely related to each other.

so i'm looking for a videocamera. perhaps ones with built-in HDD. anyone with videography can give a little advice for me to start exploring videography?
check out this i think might help http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/tags/t....orders/reviews

if u had a video cam ,earlier u could do video feed on the Penang 24 Hour Project that will be history
Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Shutter Fan

sony handycam ... <5K can get. which deliver a superb quality in HD. sony is known for its industry standard in the field.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Shuttertastic

i have the same wet dreams for months. a good start would be the canon HV30 which shoots in HD (1080 watever). Of course, sony also has a competing product. I talked to many experts and they all suggest to shoot on mini DV tape (less compression).

Quote:

Old 06-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Shutter Council

thanks sherren & andythology for your inputs. appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
i have the same wet dreams for months. a good start would be the canon HV30 which shoots in HD (1080 watever). Of course, sony also has a competing product. I talked to many experts and they all suggest to shoot on mini DV tape (less compression).
aaah.. so u also have the same wet dream, eh?
so mini DV is much better in term of quality, is it? but how about practicality? converting analog to digital format would be a hassle, i think. that's why i never bother to convert my mini DV tapes. and it is expensive to send it to shops for conversions.

however, mini DV cams are seriously cheap now. especially when the DVD & HDD medium introduced to the market.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
and it is expensive to send it to shops for conversions.
come, i help u convert with minimum charge
Old 06-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Serious Shutter

Quote:

so mini DV is much better in term of quality, is it? but how about practicality? converting analog to digital format would be a hassle, i think. that's why i never bother to convert my mini DV tapes. and it is expensive to send it to shops for conversions.

however, mini DV cams are seriously cheap now. especially when the DVD & HDD medium introduced to the market.
processing is really pain in the Axx sometimes...
have to make sure you have very very big HDD space to work around.

my suggestion is go for those consumer range HD cam with HDD built in.
which cost you less than 5k.
production cam simply cost you more than 10k

My Picasa
My Picasa Web Album
Old 06-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Shutter Starter

if u want to a videocam
u should consider this flash memory video cam

Canon HF10 HD
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...der-16gb.phtml

review
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...view-34711.htm
Old 06-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Shuttertastic

From my very limited knowlegde, videocams have to "squeeze and compress" images drastically to fit into hard disks or DVDs etc, hence lost of details. It's like shooting in low-res jpegs all the way.

However, when shooting onto mini DV tapes, the files are not compressed. Experts say, if u intend to shoot and edit on the PC, then mini DV is the way to go cos your files are almost intact (like shooting RAW, i guess).

BTW mini DV is NOT analogue. It's still digital data. The only downside to mini-DV is a lot of manufacturers consider it OLD technology and are encouraging consumers to switch to hard disk etc (they have a reason for it, cos u r then stuck to their proprietary system. They will ketuk u nicely when u need to change hard disk etc).

Quote:

It's really easy if u have a Mac w/firewire connection. The Mac comes with iMovie pre-installed and it's basically plug-and-play. iDVD also makes DVD authoring easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclau View Post
processing is really pain in the Axx sometimes...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Shuttertastic

Quote:

Mini DV is digital and do not need conversion. I think you are referring to converting the mini DV tapes into DVDs, right? Any way, I just found out recently how easy it was to convert a mini DV tapes into a DVD. Just plug it into the camcorder into a firewire port and the computer will take over the camcorder (play, fast forward, rewind). I just use one of the free bundled software and voila!, I have a DVD