Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Camera Equipment Buy/Sell, Dealers & Retailers > Buy or Sell at Shutter Asia
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 07-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Shutter Starter

Pricing for Pre-owned/Used Photo Gear

I believe some sellers for pre-owned/used photo gear seem to be pricing their items on the high end. The general perception is any pre-owned/used item would lose at least 20 or more percent compared with the new prices, depending on the condition, warranty, etc.
As soon as you take it out of the store, you can expect to lose 10% even if you decide to sell it tomorrow.
But some sellers seem to be pricing their gear very close to new prices. This is fairly unrealistic and unlikely to attract buyers.
And remember camera bodies are generally likely to lose more in percentage value compared with lenses.
I sincerely hope sellers would be more realistic in this aspect. For example, one cannot expect a Nikon 14-24mm/F2.8 to be sold as a pre-owned lens for RM5500 when you can buy it new for RM5800.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Shutter Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apophoto View Post
I sincerely hope sellers would be more realistic in this aspect. For example, one cannot expect a Nikon 14-24mm/F2.8 to be sold as a pre-owned lens for RM5500...
Dude... what you babbling about la...

If the fella (owner) wants to sell it high or low... what is it to you?

Willing seller, willing buyer... pure capitalism... nobody put a gun to someone's head and said "BUY!"

sometimes seller get lucky - sometimes buyer gets lucky... so?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Shutter Fan

ya ... i know the 2nd hand price is very high ... however the price is purely depending on the market ... if normally from my observation ... sellers would set their selling price higher ... then if no one makes any enquiry ... then they would lower down the price ...

My Gear :
Nikon D80 with kit lens | AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

Next in Line :
Manfrotto 055XPROB + 804RC2 3-Way-Head
Old 07-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Serious Shutter

if a person is looking for something that is very scarce in the 2nd hand market...they can even pay like 95% to the new price.. it's really up to the sellers..
Old 08-04-2009, 06:13 PM
New Shutter User

Dude,
Different hobby has different kind of investment.
Yes, second hand items may sell lower than brand new but it's all up to the buyer and seller. In the near future if you sell off your gears, would you sell 20% or 10% off from the new price?

If you find that second hand price is not much differ from brand new then buy brand new instead.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:34 AM
New Shutter User

used gear

This is all up to individual whether he want to sell it low or high. As a buyer, you need to do some search whether the prdt worth to buy or not.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:55 PM
New Shutter User

Market forces rule....
Old 08-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Shuttertastic

its a demand and supply market... just like share market... if demand is more than supply the price will be very high.. else if demand is not high the price will be quite low... like would you buy a lens that is very bad condition with 50% discount or a lens that is like never been use before at a 5-10% off ?

Try MSN me for more info MSN : mitmivec@gmail.com or call me at 012 2937123 Click me to get a Quote
try not to sms i might not have time to reply as i got work to do call me if urgent and pm me
Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Shutter Starter

I think everyone has a point there. Buying USED cameras or lens should depend on the condition and demand of the items for sale. Dont expect a 95% condition camera to be sold at 50% discount. Neither a bad condition camera be sold at 95% value.
Would you pay a RM60K for a NEW 2009 Kia Spectra? Where you can only get a 2006 Honda City for that much. Again it is up to the seller and buyers decision.
Look again, if there is no sellers or buyers, digital photography will be as dull as analogue.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Shutter Starter

Agree...Used is used.Can't expected or lure people to buy if the prices of item nearly similar to new one unless the item was very rare or still new found on marketplace.Otherwise other people will laugh not to say depend to seller.waste people time.