Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Photography > Landscape, Cityscape and Panorama
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Shutter Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordin View Post
Difficult to control the colours and saturation with single frame. Need to continue post processing in Capture NX as well as Photoshop to get the desired effect.
Hehehehehe. Actually this HDR was created after the merge; meaning it was HDR-generated with a single JPEG which makes it even worse.

I never use Capture NX on MAC before because my early experience using Capture NX on windows was not a good one. It was pretty slow. Will download the demo and give it a try since I will be having 2 weeks of 'holidays' soon.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Shutter Lord

Here's one converted to HDR using one frame (pseudo HDR). Subject was moving so impossible to use multi frames. But final adjustments after HDR tone mapping has to be done in Capture NX as well as CS3.

A boy playing kite at Jimbara Beach, Bali.

Kite Flying.jpg
Old 01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Shutter Council

Quote:
Here's one converted to HDR using one frame (pseudo HDR). Subject was moving so impossible to use multi frames. But final adjustments after HDR tone mapping has to be done in Capture NX as well as CS3.

A boy playing kite at Jimbara Beach, Bali.
Hehehehe... Not bad even though I felt it is a wee bit saturated. Seems like you prefer subtle HDR which is the exact purpose of doing HDR. I kinda like my HDR to be subtle too but the thing is, when I set all the Photomatix settings to produce subtle HDR, the colors all wonky! Any tips on how to tackle such problem especially when dealing with single RAW HDR? Normally I would generate +2eV and -2eV (depends on the highlight/shadow clipping) from the single RAW. Perhaps +1eV and -1eV could solve the problem?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Shutter God

Quote:
Originally Posted by noruazumi View Post
Hehehehe... Not bad even though I felt it is a wee bit saturated. Seems like you prefer subtle HDR which is the exact purpose of doing HDR. I kinda like my HDR to be subtle too but the thing is, when I set all the Photomatix settings to produce subtle HDR, the colors all wonky! Any tips on how to tackle such problem especially when dealing with single RAW HDR? Normally I would generate +2eV and -2eV (depends on the highlight/shadow clipping) from the single RAW. Perhaps +1eV and -1eV could solve the problem?
Single RAW generally comes out with wonky colours because the actual dynamic range is still a little limited so it's pulling stuff out of the shadows that's guess work.

You can play with the settings more too, Photomatix actually has a lot of tabs in the tabs where you can tweak it.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Shutter Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by noruazumi View Post

HDR adds a certain punch to the photo saturating colours etc. That's one of the reasons why it's interesting. But for me the intention is to 'spice up' the photo without making it look like a scene in another planet. This is where control of color, saturation and exposure is important. Easier to do with multiple and different EV frames rather than one.

As you know all the adjustments is to be done in 'tone mapping'. There are 4 main functions in the drop window. You have to control the 'colour', 'white point', 'black point' and 'gamma' sliders till you get what you want or near to what you want. Click the different functions of the widow and do do fine adjustments. Only then you click 'generate'. Save the file and then work on it in CS3 and or Capture NX2. NX2 has the advantage of doing 'selective' adjustment of 'brightness', 'contrast' and 'saturation'. This will allow you to manage the dark patches as always seen with 1 frame HDR and also allow you to adjust colour though in a limited way.

Here's one on a jetty by Lake Bratan, Bali, taken at around 6 in the morning. This was taken with 5 frames but I used only 3. I found using too many frames will only add 'blur' to the final photo because we can never prevent the wind from changing the scenery especially those of trees and water.

Jetty.jpg
Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Shutter Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger View Post
Single RAW generally comes out with wonky colours because the actual dynamic range is still a little limited so it's pulling stuff out of the shadows that's guess work.

You can play with the settings more too, Photomatix actually has a lot of tabs in the tabs where you can tweak it.
That's true. Changing the single RAW EV into a few different EV's does not give enough dynamic range compared to bracketed RAW.

Quote:
HDR adds a certain punch to the photo saturating colours etc. That's one of the reasons why it's interesting. But for me the intention is to 'spice up' the photo without making it look like a scene in another planet. This is where control of color, saturation and exposure is important. Easier to do with multiple and different EV frames rather than one.
Yes, I do find generating HDR using different bracketed shots is much easier to control and reduces the unwanted things like halo, noise and etc even though such things can be easily fixed using CS3.

Quote:
As you know all the adjustments is to be done in 'tone mapping'. There are 4 main functions in the drop window. You have to control the 'colour', 'white point', 'black point' and 'gamma' sliders till you get what you want or near to what you want. Click the different functions of the widow and do do fine adjustments. Only then you click 'generate'. Save the file and then work on it in CS3 and or Capture NX2. NX2 has the advantage of doing 'selective' adjustment of 'brightness', 'contrast' and 'saturation'. This will allow you to manage the dark patches as always seen with 1 frame HDR and also allow you to adjust colour though in a limited way.
Oh, it works just like Adobe Lightroom 2 where you can do selective adjustments. In Lightroom 2, you can adjust the clipping of the highlights/shadows by clicking at their respective tabs to show where the clipped areas are and adjust them accordingly.

Quote:
Here's one on a jetty by Lake Bratan, Bali, taken at around 6 in the morning. This was taken with 5 frames but I used only 3. I found using too many frames will only add 'blur' to the final photo because we can never prevent the wind from changing the scenery especially those of trees and water.

Attachment 37656
This one NICE! I like the warm and cold tone.