Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Photography > Landscape, Cityscape and Panorama
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 AM
noruazumi's Avatar
noruazumi noruazumi is offline
Shutter Council
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: penang - shah alam - kuantan
Posts: 4,474
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Country:
Quote:
Originally Posted by noordin View Post
Difficult to control the colours and saturation with single frame. Need to continue post processing in Capture NX as well as Photoshop to get the desired effect.
Hehehehehe. Actually this HDR was created after the merge; meaning it was HDR-generated with a single JPEG which makes it even worse.

I never use Capture NX on MAC before because my early experience using Capture NX on windows was not a good one. It was pretty slow. Will download the demo and give it a try since I will be having 2 weeks of 'holidays' soon.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
noordin's Avatar
noordin noordin is offline
Shutter Lord
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,045
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Country:
Here's one converted to HDR using one frame (pseudo HDR). Subject was moving so impossible to use multi frames. But final adjustments after HDR tone mapping has to be done in Capture NX as well as CS3.


A boy playing kite at Jimbara Beach, Bali.

Kite Flying.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
noruazumi's Avatar
noruazumi noruazumi is offline
Shutter Council
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: penang - shah alam - kuantan
Posts: 4,474
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Country:
Quote:
Originally Posted by noordin View Post
Here's one converted to HDR using one frame (pseudo HDR). Subject was moving so impossible to use multi frames. But final adjustments after HDR tone mapping has to be done in Capture NX as well as CS3.


A boy playing kite at Jimbara Beach, Bali.
Hehehehe... Not bad even though I felt it is a wee bit saturated. Seems like you prefer subtle HDR which is the exact purpose of doing HDR. I kinda like my HDR to be subtle too but the thing is, when I set all the Photomatix settings to produce subtle HDR, the colors all wonky! Any tips on how to tackle such problem especially when dealing with single RAW HDR? Normally I would generate +2eV and -2eV (depends on the highlight/shadow clipping) from the single RAW. Perhaps +1eV and -1eV could solve the problem?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
ShaolinTiger's Avatar
ShaolinTiger ShaolinTiger is offline
Shutter God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Petaling Jaya
Posts: 6,402
Thanks: 56
Thanked 148 Times in 80 Posts
Country:
Quote:
Originally Posted by noruazumi View Post
Hehehehe... Not bad even though I felt it is a wee bit saturated. Seems like you prefer subtle HDR which is the exact purpose of doing HDR. I kinda like my HDR to be subtle too but the thing is, when I set all the Photomatix settings to produce subtle HDR, the colors all wonky! Any tips on how to tackle such problem especially when dealing with single RAW HDR? Normally I would generate +2eV and -2eV (depends on the highlight/shadow clipping) from the single RAW. Perhaps +1eV and -1eV could solve the problem?
Single RAW generally comes out with wonky colours because the actual dynamic range is still a little limited so it's pulling stuff out of the shadows that's guess work.

You can play with the settings more too, Photomatix actually has a lot of tabs in the tabs where you can tweak it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-08-2009, 12:06 PM
noordin's Avatar
noordin noordin is offline
Shutter Lord
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,045
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Country:
Quote:
Originally Posted by noruazumi View Post
Hehehehe... Not bad even though I felt it is a wee bit saturated. Seems like you prefer subtle HDR which is the exact purpose of doing HDR. I kinda like my HDR to be subtle too but the thing is, when I set all the Photomatix settings to produce subtle HDR, the colors all wonky! Any tips on how to tackle such problem especially when dealing with single RAW HDR? Normally I would generate +2eV and -2eV (depends on the highlight/shadow clipping) from the single RAW. Perhaps +1eV and -1eV could solve the problem?

HDR adds a certain punch to the photo saturating colours etc. That's one of the reasons why it's interesting. But for me the intention is to 'spice up' the photo without making it look like a scene in another planet. This is where control of color, saturation and exposure is important. Easier to do with multiple and different EV frames rather than one.

As you know all the adjustments is to be done in 'tone mapping'. There are 4 main functions in the drop window. You have to control the 'colour', 'white point', 'black point' and 'gamma' sliders till you get what you want or near to what you want. Click the different functions of the widow and do do fine adjustments. Only then you click 'generate'. Save the file and then work on it in CS3 and or Capture NX2. NX2 has the advantage of doing 'selective' adjustment of 'brightness', 'contrast' and 'saturation'. This will allow you to manage the dark patches as always seen with 1 frame HDR and also allow you to adjust colour though in a limited way.

Here's one on a jetty by Lake Bratan, Bali, taken at around 6 in the morning. This was taken with 5 frames but I used only 3. I found using too many frames will only add 'blur' to the final photo because we can never prevent the wind from changing the scenery especially those of trees and water.

Jetty.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 PM
noruazumi's Avatar
noruazumi noruazumi is offline
Shutter Council
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: penang - shah alam - kuantan
Posts: 4,474
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Country:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger View Post
Single RAW generally comes out with wonky colours because the actual dynamic range is still a little limited so it's pulling stuff out of the shadows that's guess work.

You can play with the settings more too, Photomatix actually has a lot of tabs in the tabs where you can tweak it.
That's true. Changing the single RAW EV into a few different EV's does not give enough dynamic range compared to bracketed RAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordin View Post
HDR adds a certain punch to the photo saturating colours etc. That's one of the reasons why it's interesting. But for me the intention is to 'spice up' the photo without making it look like a scene in another planet. This is where control of color, saturation and exposure is important. Easier to do with multiple and different EV frames rather than one.
Yes, I do find generating HDR using different bracketed shots is much easier to control and reduces the unwanted things like halo, noise and etc even though such things can be easily fixed using CS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordin View Post
As you know all the adjustments is to be done in 'tone mapping'. There are 4 main functions in the drop window. You have to control the 'colour', 'white point', 'black point' and 'gamma' sliders till you get what you want or near to what you want. Click the different functions of the widow and do do fine adjustments. Only then you click 'generate'. Save the file and then work on it in CS3 and or Capture NX2. NX2 has the advantage of doing 'selective' adjustment of 'brightness', 'contrast' and 'saturation'. This will allow you to manage the dark patches as always seen with 1 frame HDR and also allow you to adjust colour though in a limited way.
Oh, it works just like Adobe Lightroom 2 where you can do selective adjustments. In Lightroom 2, you can adjust the clipping of the highlights/shadows by clicking at their respective tabs to show where the clipped areas are and adjust them accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordin View Post
Here's one on a jetty by Lake Bratan, Bali, taken at around 6 in the morning. This was taken with 5 frames but I used only 3. I found using too many frames will only add 'blur' to the final photo because we can never prevent the wind from changing the scenery especially those of trees and water.

Attachment 37656
This one NICE! I like the warm and cold tone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
hdr, malaysia, noruazumi, panorama, penang

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas Bug, HO HO HO!!! orionmystery Wildlife, Birds, Insects & Nature 16 01-02-2009 11:58 AM
All I want for Christmas is.... BumbleBee Chit-Chat & Off-Topic 22 01-02-2009 01:20 AM
On Christmas Morning noruazumi Landscape, Cityscape and Panorama 15 12-26-2008 08:43 AM
Christmas Morning Sunrise - QB ( 25.12.2008 ) azlankhan Events, Gatherings & Happenings 8 12-25-2008 05:50 AM
Christmas Day Morning Macro orionmystery Wildlife, Birds, Insects & Nature 7 12-25-2007 08:34 PM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Content and Design Copyright 2007-2013 Shutter Asia - All Rights Reserved
Inactive Reminders By Icora Web Design