Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Photography > Street Photography, Urban & Candid
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 04-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Shutter Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SooHK View Post
Yeah I agree as shots taken by anyone shows the way the photogs see the world. Hence even if a P&S given to a granddad is powerful tool.

Even our cultures or the way we were brought up makes a differrent. I posted some of the same photos to 3 differrent forums which located in 3 differrent cultures/parts of the world, the comments is differrent. SA is the last place I posted. Hence its amazing to see some of the difference and allows me to understand more. In one forum after I said I took it from the hip, they posted the way of a friends that tries a total differrent way to SP. A P&S modified to look like a phone. Strange but its true.

I have also flip through a book on shots taken by vision disable photogs. You will be suprised as how they see the world...

I hope I could one day to do that successfully to convey my view at the point I click to the viewer, the road its long but with constructive comments all of us can make it even a slow learner like me... Thanks
may i know whats the site? its a good idea to see comments from ppl of the other culture.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Shutterfreak

discussion is good as both party can learn other's idea...share experience...but not just simply follow...

in my opinion...street photography is very subjective...u can put camera on your head, your shoulder, your hip, even your legs...good or bad comments is ok...finally u evaluate yourself...useful tips adapt...not useful ignore...no right or wrong...
you shoot for yourself...then u have to know yourself...
if you shoot for customer...then u have to know your customer...

no 2nd Matt Stuart (he is dam creative...)...or Joewig.....
the coolest is i shoot it my way...my style...
street art has no rule....
just my 2 cents...

cheers...
Old 04-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Shutterfreak

You bet, my son started shooting a year ago when he was 6, with my Kodak 520 in Siem Reap (which is similar in weight & size of the Canon 1D).

His lower angle shots can sometimes turned up better composition then me .
At that age they can be fearless & no inhibitions and can get away with shooting at anybody - only with amazed look from ppl rather then angry middle finger if we were shooting

Now he is using a Canon 20d, much lighter outfit and learning manual focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swleong View Post
do not underestimate the shots taken by kids, give a pns to a 8-year-old kids for a day, then you'll know what i meant.

lots of their shots are actually quite "well thought of" with the logic only the kids will understand, and the perception of the world that you and me have lost after we've grown up.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
You bet, my son started shooting a year ago when he was 6, with my Kodak 520 in Siem Reap (which is similar in weight & size of the Canon 1D).

At that age they can be fearless & no inhibitions and can get away with shooting at anybody - only with amazed look from ppl rather then angry middle finger if we were shooting

u poisoned your son...
u have a talented kid...share to us some of his shot...
just like sometime a kid's drawing can be sell at higher price than those experience artist...they have different views...and creativity...and they learn fast...
Old 04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesshans View Post
u poisoned your son...
u have a talented kid...share to us some of his shot...
just like sometime a kid's drawing can be sell at higher price than those experience artist...they have different views...and creativity...and they learn fast...
yaloh, racun him kau kau.

maybe I will start another thread on kiddies shoot, when I get the material ready.

but here are some shots from this year's Thaipusam.

IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1980.JPG

#4 I won't dare to take a shot like this, in case I kena shot back
IMG_1982.JPG
Old 04-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
yaloh, racun him kau kau.

maybe I will start another thread on kiddies shoot, when I get the material ready.

but here are some shots from this year's Thaipusam.
cool...especially last 2 shots...
take him out and join SA outing...
Old 04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
cool...especially last 2 shots...
take him out and join SA outing...
Thanks, one weekend when he is not too busy with his art, karate, maths, music classes - poor kid as parents we are loading them too much but photography is different, get him out into the open for some relaxation

Sorry folks OFF TOPIC probably kena warning liao
Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierchan View Post
IMHO, different people have different preference in doing street shooting/candid. positive debate is good, but just do not turn it into personal attack, that's it.
Yeap xaiverchan, if not will be another picaso case which I truly miss the OP thread, since then I have yet to see him back here..

Quote:
discussion is good as both party can learn other's idea...share experience...but not just simply follow...

in my opinion...street photography is very subjective...u can put camera on your head, your shoulder, your hip, even your legs...good or bad comments is ok...finally u evaluate yourself...useful tips adapt...not useful ignore...no right or wrong...
you shoot for yourself...then u have to know yourself...
if you shoot for customer...then u have to know your customer...

no 2nd Matt Stuart (he is dam creative...)...or Joewig.....
the coolest is i shoot it my way...my style...
street art has no rule....
just my 2 cents...

cheers...
Matt Stuart way I love and have try.... very good but needs a lot of patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamenoob View Post
may i know whats the site? its a good idea to see comments from ppl of the other culture.
do search for pixpros (thailand) is in thai I got a recent post which has close to 20 pics and Dpreview. If you are interested post your photos there at DPreview there is a weekly photography thread that runs it course for a week I was quite active for past one month there until I got busy with fashion show. I posted almost 2 pic per day. The cordinator is Peter Dumont.

The guy which I said convert a P&S convert to Handphone look a like is Peter friend, an ex KGB, his site is in russia. I got comments on one of my photo that they said looks like HCB style LOL. I believe I have yet to post here. I hope you will comment when its post and tell me which one u think it is. Or is it in this post gua? hahaha I used to be in Fred Miranda too but lost interest for a while, you could see Shaolin Tiger post there too...

I am looking for another country in Hong Kong. if you have let me know I will join too.. Lamenoob any photo to share? Really love to see the style u mention if it does makes generate a feel. Do share la.. Btw You sound like someone from another forum. Do share la....

Quote:

20D wah low eh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by swleong View Post
SooHK, I've been following up most of your street shots in this forum. I like most of them, but this series is a mixed bags imo.

I like:-

#1, if witout the girls at b/g would be better imo
#5, even with the half-cut head, just like it
#6, classic SooHK style!
#10, if without the guai lo at the back would be better imo
This is what I like specific.

I agreed for #1, I was aiming for more to the right but ended up the subject closely at the frame. As there is another interesting subject on the right too.

Same as Pic 10 too, I saw the lady for about few meters away walk towards aim for her to be in center of the frame but fail however still catch her on the corner In shot from the hip you need to practise for a long time before getting to frame the subject at the place u want. I still miss a lot...

#6 hahaha I am trying to break from this style ....hence trying out the shot from the hip way and see if it fits me..the other pic is what I am trying out to expand from my usual pic...

Thanks everyone...

Last edited by SooHK; 04-07-2009 at 05:50 PM..
Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamenoob View Post
well no offense, but i dont see anything joewig in your photos.
I forgot to answer this particular sentence, please do not misunderstand I did not mention that my pic looks like JoeWig if there is sentence in which I imply so then I am sorry guys but my reference to JoeWig is of the way he shot ... and he still get some pretty good pic ...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Shutterfreak

I take snapshots all the time, that is, instinctive shots within a flick of my mine, whenever something interesting suddenly happens around me.

Divina of PM did mention something to that extend. So, it's not fair to categorise snapshots as lame/amateurish shots.

Haha, that picasso thread.