Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Shutter Asia General > News & Announcements
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 06-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Shutter God

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper79 View Post
With all is said, isn't these shots look a little flat now? Correct me if I am wrong in saying so. I might have missed something which the fellow judges have seen. Maybe they could teach me a thing or two about judging what makes a really good shot is all about. Thanks heaps! Cheers!
Of course they can be better, really we need you to enter next time and show us how it's done.

Obviously you will win, so I'm really looking forwards to seeing your shots

Thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShaolinTiger For This Useful Post:
EddieWong (06-22-2011), JackJack (06-22-2011), JoeChia (07-04-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Shutter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger View Post
Of course they can be better, really we need you to enter next time and show us how it's done.

Obviously you will win, so I'm really looking forwards to seeing your shots

Thanks!
Huh? Why would I win?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Shuttertastic

clipper 79,
Does those winning shots lacking human element to bring out those "Good or Bad, Happy or Sad" emotion??? I am curios to learn also....Technically...they are great as i assume no PPing is allowed for the participant and all shots must be taken during certain time frame..
Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Shutter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixin View Post
clipper 79,
Does those winning shots lacking human element to bring out those "Good or Bad, Happy or Sad" emotion??? I am curios to learn also....Technically...they are great as i assume no PPing is allowed for the participant and all shots must be taken during certain time frame..
I would think the human element would or able to convey that across, since we are drawn to other people around us too, and that we come in contact with them all the time. I am really still learning to shoot, and learning how to see what photography comp judges see in all the shots they get. Also how they pick out a winning shot. That to me is still a steep learning curve. Maybe I am missing something out in what I see here, hence posting up the question. I would not say I would win anything if I join the future comps, cos I am still guessing what the judges see in these shots, and hoping that one day I would be able to learn the wisdom to win photography comps. I am sure I missed out something, as I have mentioned earlier, I'm still guessing.

Yes, I do assume that there is no PPing done here. Regardless of photoshop, or even any other photo editing softwares, but I would at least get the exposures right, no? The burn out skies just hurts the eyes. Perhaps shooting them at half a stop or a stop down? no? Perhaps nail the technicalities? no?

I am still a avid student of art, and I am not photographer earning a living, hence I would not call myself a pro, but I love this form of art ever since 2 years ago. And have been reading loads on photography and shooting regularly ever since. Hence my keen interest in the topic of judging. I always have a burning question in my head, "What makes a superb shot, a winning shot?" It is still yet to be answered.

Photography is subjective, similar to fine art pieces. That I understand, so is this the answer to my question?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clipper79 For This Useful Post:
frankiepo (06-28-2011), lixin (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 07:14 PM
New Shutter User

gratz to the winners. no chimping really is tough lol
Old 06-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Shutter Starter

Quote:
The burn out skies just hurts the eyes. Perhaps shooting them at half a stop or a stop down? no? Perhaps nail the technicalities? no?
IMO, one definitely have to forego the sky exposure to bring out the dark subject without editing. I would do just that in a comp if no editing is permitted as my main idea would be to talk about the foreground items.

And congrats to all the winners.

Working @ http://www.facebook.com/BelloPictures
Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Shutter Fan

congrats to the winner... is it possible to share the photos of the other entries?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Shutter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiepo View Post
IMO, one definitely have to forego the sky exposure to bring out the dark subject without editing. I would do just that in a comp if no editing is permitted as my main idea would be to talk about the foreground items.
Thanks for your opinion.

If your idea is to expose the foreground better, I bet there are numerous more angles to choose from or wait for a more appropriate timing of the day. Landscape photographers practice this, so that they will get the appropriate amount of light to get their subjects well exposed. By sticking to one angle just to get the flare in is just being short-sighted, no?

There are numerous probability of choosing other a better object/subject/icon/landmark to photograph, and still might be able to still achieve the similar results, if flare seems to be the main stay here. Pushing one concept and one concept only, don't you think it is a little too narrow minded? As "artists" so to speak, aren't we all suppose to look out of the box? If we are inward looking, it is very hard to even express ourselves with the possible wonderful photos that we could probably take.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Shutter Starter

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion.

If your idea is to expose the foreground better, I bet there are numerous more angles to choose from or wait for a more appropriate timing of the day. Landscape photographers practice this, so that they will get the appropriate amount of light to get their subjects well exposed. By sticking to one angle just to get the flare in is just being short-sighted, no?

There are numerous probability of choosing other a better object/subject/icon/landmark to photograph, and still might be able to still achieve the similar results, if flare seems to be the main stay here. Pushing one concept and one concept only, don't you think it is a little too narrow minded? As "artists" so to speak, aren't we all suppose to look out of the box? If we are inward looking, it is very hard to even express ourselves with the possible wonderful photos that we could probably take.
I'm not saying to stick to one angle and one angle only. Being a DIGITAL photographer, I'm sure the kid would have move around for different angles and chose this picture for submission and won. Traveling back to the same spot for the "appropriate timing of the day" would definitely be a no-no for a working photographer like me (busy with work) and I guess that would be the same for the winning fellow who is a kid (transportation problem I assume).

Working @ http://www.facebook.com/BelloPictures
Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Shutter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiepo View Post
I'm not saying to stick to one angle and one angle only. Being a DIGITAL photographer, I'm sure the kid would have move around for different angles and chose this picture for submission and won. Traveling back to the same spot for the "appropriate timing of the day" would definitely be a no-no for a working photographer like me (busy with work) and I guess that would be the same for the winning fellow who is a kid (transportation problem I assume).
Of what is stated above,... that is what puzzles me most. Being a working photographer / pro photographer as you said you are,... I am sure you know what an appropriate exposure is, no?