Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Gear & Technique > Digital Imaging & Photo Art
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 04-23-2010, 01:35 PM
New Shutter User

DXO Software

I was wondering if anyone out there is, or has, used the DXO software? When I retired last year, I was given a copy which I just got around to installing and updating to try out. FYI, I shoot a Nikon D700 and, on occasion, a D300. The lenses used are the 14-24, 24-70 and the 70-200. I also use the 50 1.4 and the 85 1.8. I downloaded the correct presets for both cameras and the lenses I have. I have shot RAW from the days of the D100 so have a rather large library of images. After the downloading and installation process was complete, I randomly selected images and put them into DXO. I could not believe the detail which the program extracted from the images. I recently spent a few days "cave wandering" in Northern Thailand, a hobby of sorts, but a situation I never mastered with a camera. This software corrected the images to a degree I could not believe. Has anyone else had any experience with this software?
Cheers,
Old 04-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Shuttertastic

I've used it for a short period of time. It does correct many of the lens flaws quickly and easily. But eventually, I found that it doesn't fit with my workflow because I run raw files thru Capture NX first. Most of the stuff that it does is reproduceable using less automated methods in Photoshop.

Its great if you don't have the patience to process images individually, because its so quick and automatic.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:54 AM
New Shutter User

Hi,
Thanks for your comment. Perhaps you hit the nail on the head as to why I made this post. I use Lightrom, Bibble and CS3 as well. It does seem too easy to put the raw files into DXO and be finished with them. I can not really tell which of the corrections are intrinsic to the camera/lens combination and whick are the result of error on my part. The cave shots, I mentioned earlier, the details which the program extracted from both the under and over exposed portions of the pictures was something to see. I tend to over expose a bit to preserve detail in a picture, but DXO found detail in the under exposed portions as well.
For now, I am going to use it on a large backlog of old pictures which have not seen the light of day in years and see what happens. Thanks again for the feedback. Cheers
Old 04-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Shuttertastic

The retrieved detail that you see is always present in the RAW file. Just that not all of us are aware of how to pull the detail out manually. Its a bit like scanning film. In the past, scanners weren't that good at it. So early scanned film images were inferior. As technology developed, film scannerss got better and better so you could squeeze out better images from old negatives/slides.

So my suggestion is, do not discard RAW files of images that you like after you have processed them into another format, no matter how good DXO does it. As various software gets better, it may be able to process it better in the future.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 PM
New Shutter User

Hi and thanks again,
I never toss out old pictures. Perhaps its nuts, but I have the pictures taked with the F1 and f2 back in the late 60's early 70's. I started with Nikon in the 60's and film until the F5 gave way to the D100. Considering I have been in 42 countries, and a good share of my job was to get pictures of what I saw, you can imagine the collection. While a bit off subject, I have been thinking of returning to the US and buying a new scanner with ICE and seeing what I can do with the old stuff. It would be a big investment which could never be recovered and my kids have no interest in the pictures. ANyway, thanks for the imput.
Cheers