Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Gear & Technique > Other Systems & 3rd Party Lenses
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Shutter Guardian

My OMD product improvement suggestion to Olympus

Just sharing my recent case with all of you.
This is my complaint or product improvement suggestion to Olympus,

I have been using OMD EM5 for quite some time. There are a few feedback hope to help your product improvement.

1. I sent my OMD to your service center in Malaysia. Basically, I have two complains.
a. The camera tend to back focus. I understand that Mirrorless has no back focus problem because it uses sensor to do the focus... I think the syndrome is back focus but the problem is inaccurate focusing in a lighting condition which other DSLR able to focus accurately.
b. I select EVF STYLE 1, 2 and 3 but the camera only display EVF STYLE 3. I got to know from the service agent that it is because I turn off the Auto EVF switch. These are two different configuration. Why there is a dependency between them.

The Support engineer say it is as per design. This means the design is not correct. You should correct it. But the engineer still say the same thing so I hope by writing this message, you will take some action.

NEXT I complain this to your sales in one of the well know camera shop today,
1. The Olympus m43 system lens mostly using drive-by-wire focusing. There is no distance scale. This make me very difficult to set the lens to infinity when shooting night scape. (including setting hyperfocal and DOF related setting)

2. There is no distance scale show on the lens. I hope you will be able to upgrade the firmware to include distance scale. I see the Leica (Panasonic) V-Lux 4 has it. I am stun. M43 do not have a useful feature which a bridge camera has. If you take out some feature, remember to put something back.

3. The raw file is 12-bit... with the similar price range camera... all have 14-bit raw file.

Can you do something in your next update of firmware?

cc. Olympus Japan

If you didn't heard from me again that means I switch to other system. Thank you.

If you want to know all the problem, come with me to a few field trip... you know the pain.

And this is the respond from Japan...

Thank you for your e-mail regarding our product.

We regret if our service station was unable to offer you
satisfactory service.

While appreciating your interest, we are not thinking of
updating that function by the firmware for OM-D E-M5 at present.
However, we are constantly making efforts to improve our
products. Therefore, we are always grateful for customers'
opinion.

Thank you for taking time to write us, and we are
looking forward to having your continued support.

Best regards,

T. K
Customer Support Center
OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. Tokyo, Japan

And this is the respond from Malaysia Olympus...

first and foremost thanks for your feedback about our product. We strongly believe that, user feedback and comment are important for us in order to help us make better product.

After we checked and tested your unit, we confirm there is no back focus issue occurs. Furthermore, if you facing any focus accuracy in any lightning condition, perhaps you can come over to our service center and show some of the sample images, we are more than willing to solve your problem.

Whenever you turn off the EVF sensor, our OM-D will automatically set as default which is “Style 3”, there is no option to change it as mentioned in the camera setting.

The rest we believe is feedback on the camera improvement or features; we will highlight your feedback to our R&D department.
Feel free to contact us, if you have any others inquiries.

Thanks

The only problem bothering me is the Distance Scale, infinity focus, hyperfocal and DOF. Most m43 lens don't have it.
Really wish they will make some improvement. In here at least I expressed my view.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Shutterfreak

that bad gah.... back focus on single shot or continuous shot mode? what lens?

for night scene, when manual focus, it does not magnify the scene on the LCD?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Shutter Guardian

With oly 75-300 and pana 100-300. Aim at the bird but the background get focused. I think the distance between focus n subject is around 3 inches +-. It happen in burst and single shot mode. Basically u can just shoot single shot. If the first one oof, the rest will be oof.

When u shoot stars, u point the camera to the sky. In ur lcd o evf o ovf, u will see black. Focus assist is useless. There are two technique can apply.

A. Use distance scale and dof marking on lens to focus to infinity o hyperfocal. In this way u just need to finetune a bit from the infinity marking. However, most m43 don have this marking and the firmware do not display this kind of information. I see vlux 4 has it... Bridge cameras has it, y m43 cannot provide since they pandai pandai remove something essential for old school technique?

B. turn the focus ring to the far side and try and error. I use this technique, i can tell u, u will spend a lot of time on this. Every trial, the sensor expose and get heat. The more trial i do, the hotter the sensor. When the sensor get heat up, fog start to develop. In oly manual, they tell you stop shooting. That is good, stop shooting and let the good scene go away.

Wish oly developer share the same pain
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Shutterfreak

things like 12 bit raw, drive by wire focusing, no distance scale should have been known up front right, no?

Go buy the 12mm F2 la, got distance scale.

I also read about the continuos focus problem too as its still not comparable with DSLR. That why I did not bought into Oly System yet
Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Shutter Guardian

There is only three lens has distance scale. It will not solve the problem. It should be a fun cam to use... Allow people to explore every posibility in a simplier n compact form.

U r right the tracking feature is useless. I don use it so didn't raise it as a concern.

The cam is fun to use... The designer really making to use in limited application... No word to say... Say they don understand photography also cannot... Say they know photography also no appropriete.... Hai...
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM
New Shutter User

Location: RoseOak House, Colwood Lane, Warninglid, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH17 5UQ
Camera having lens like this will not work on professional photography. As far as possible, you should get the right camera lens when you are serious with photography.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Shutter Guardian

exactly.... hope olympus get the idea...
Old 02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
New Shutter User

Location: RoseOak House, Colwood Lane, Warninglid, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH17 5UQ
They should get the right idea @calvincychin. If this issue will be resolve, I'm quiet sure that they will be having more subscribers.