Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Camera Equipment Buy/Sell, Dealers & Retailers > Buy or Sell at Shutter Asia
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 12-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainalfared View Post
Regarding the GST, what else do you need to redeem it? Just the receipt. tax receipt and a passport? So does it mean anyone could claim it within 2 months from the date of purchase? So does anyone provide that services or going to Singapore by air anytime soon?
Receipt
Passport
Proof of stay for 2 days or longer I think
and ALL items that you bought, they want to see the complete package
Old 12-13-2008, 03:54 PM
New Shutter User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoro View Post
Receipt
Passport
Proof of stay for 2 days or longer I think
and ALL items that you bought, they want to see the complete package
thanks neoro for the explaination. i think i have to forget about claiming then.. hehehe what a waste *sigh*
Old 12-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Shuttertastic

with current currency i think the price dont have much different.. not sure

about the tax, but from my experience, bought used Pentax lense last time, no

box, just lense, they never ask for Tax.. maybe it just my luck,, i dont know
Old 12-14-2008, 02:42 AM
New Shutter User

just read one thread inside clubsnap sg.....wanna sell used tammy 17-50 SGD350.......WAAAAHHHH!!..so cheap leehh........gonna cal the seller tomorrow....hehehe.... hope its true....
Old 12-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Shutter Fan

just got back from singapore. went to this sim lim tower, like our very own low yat, only it has twice the number of shops. they have many big shops selling stacks of cameras and lenses. at a glance and random survey, i must say the prices in kl are cheaper, though not much. even the memory cards are cheaper in low yat. the only cheaper there are camera bags.

went to several shops sim lim and i must say their service sucks. maybe i'm so used to good services by jason (of j-one) or desmond (of yl camera) or winnie (of international camera), that i graded those guys in sim lim very low. or maybe because those sales people in sim lim knew i'm a malaysian and not a gwailo, thus i know the prices in malaysia are cheaper, they don't take heed about me. dem...i couldn't event just browse the rack without being asked (in strong tone, ok) what camera i'm looking for and being irritated i just say "nikon tele-converter 1.4", then he started to scratch his head (which i quickly detected his limited knowledge of camera gadgets), and i just walked away. and at the other shop alan photo (which seems to have photography stuff more than selangor photo), i asked the same question to a guy who sat with stacks of boxes of nikon and canon lenses behind him and never even bothered to look at me, and he answered "no stock". when i looked behind him, i saw the box and pointed at him, then he just glanced and said "560 dollar". i asked him is that his best price, he said yes (still without even looking at me). oh well. that's certainly my first and last time there.

Last edited by zuhrie; 12-14-2008 at 03:03 AM..
Old 12-14-2008, 03:03 AM
Shutter Council

dont bother buying from sim lim, they are rude and down right ahbengs
Old 12-14-2008, 03:05 AM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuhrie View Post
just got back from singapore. went to this sim lim tower, like our very own low yat, only it has twice the number of shops. they have many big shops selling stacks of cameras and lenses. at a glance and random survey, i must say the prices in kl are cheaper, though not much. even the memory cards are cheaper in low yat. the only cheaper there are camera bags.

went to several shops sim lim and i must say their service sucks. maybe i'm so used to jason (of j-one) or desmond (of yl camera) or winnie (of international camera). maybe because they know i'm a malaysian and not gwailo, and i know the prices in malaysia are cheaper, they don't take heed. dem...i can't event just browse the rack without being asked (in strong tone, ok) what camera i'm looking for and being irritated i just say "nikon tele-converter 1.4", then he started to scratch his head, and i just walked away. and at the other shop alan photo (which seems to have stocks more than selangor photo), i asked the same question to a guy who sat with stacks of boxes of nikon and canon lenses behind him and never even bothered to look at me, and he answered "no stock". when i looked behind him, i saw the box and pointed at him, then he just glanced and said "560 dollar". i asked him is that his best price, he said yes (still without even looking at me). oh well. that's certainly my first and last time there.
Sorry for the unfortunate experience, when i first when there I found them to be pretty unfriendly as well, all you need to do is go during lunch hours during weekdays, where they have more time. Unless you're a regular, there is too much volume. Most of the time you'll need to describe abit to them before they can catch what you wanted.

For Sim Lim Square, Alan Photo is alright, there is also Orient Photo (top Floor) they sell grey sets, but carry Leica and Zeiss :p bought a few zeiss from them.

Aside form that, my usual buying needs goes to Cathy Photo , Peninsular, they have a 7 day shop warranty 1 to 1 exchange, which is pretty good, considering not that many other shops still offering such item. There is also John 3:16 at Funan (accross Peninsular Plaza) however, they are just too busy, unless you go earlier *_*

Other shops include MS Color at Ang Mo Kio area.. hehehe
Old 12-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Shutter Fan

thanks neoro, i was also looking for compact leica but couldn't see any during my trip. thanks for the tips. will be looking at those places in my next trip there.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuhrie View Post
thanks neoro, i was also looking for compact leica but couldn't see any during my trip. thanks for the tips. will be looking at those places in my next trip there.
Well you may be disappointed if you're looking for new lenses. Although there are shops that carry them, Cathy, Orient Photo , to name a few, they don't really bring it the high end and latest lenses unless there is a customer demand for it.

If you know how to read Chinese characters, the Taiwan, HK and China forums offer a much better place to look and trade :p

else its all on Ebay
Old 02-21-2009, 09:24 AM
New Shutter User

i will be going to SG this end of march, and i actually plan to go by flight.. i have checked the SG customs website. that i could claim GST on my purchase.. but i would like to check is there any maximum limit of amount that i could claim? (website only stated minimum purchase = SGD100).

another thing is i could claim full 7% right? not 3% , 4%, or bla bla bla right? cos my fren told me some stuff cant claim back 7%..