Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Gear & Technique > Philosophy & Technique of Photography
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:21 PM
babyel's Avatar
babyel babyel is offline
Shutter Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Country:
prime only...

hi all,

just wanna start off here....

anyone here only use prime lenses??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:29 PM
orionmystery's Avatar
orionmystery orionmystery is offline
Shutter Demi-God
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: 39'26"N 10142'43"E
Posts: 9,209
Thanks: 16
Thanked 117 Times in 110 Posts
Country:
My main lenses are all prime F2.8 ie my ex Tammy SP90 and my current MP-E65 LOL.

But when it comes to shooting event, still need a zoom like T17-50, my fave zoom.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Yum Cha's Avatar
Yum Cha Yum Cha is offline
Shutter Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sg Petani-Butterworth-Pg
Posts: 263
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Country:
When i'm still in film photography, i had Nikon prime AF lenses such as 20/2.8D, 28/1.4D, 85/1.4D, 105/2.8D Micro, 135/2.8(manual), 180/2.8EDiF....now digital i shift to Canon....135/2L...but the 24/1.4L II and Sigma 50/1.4EX DG HSM are coming soon....Happy photography!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:46 PM
macropixman macropixman is offline
Shuttertastic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 611
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Country:
hi..any particular reason you're asking users about their prime lenses?
i use Nikkors
50 f1.4 for low light night use
85 f1.4 for portrait bokeh
105 f2.8 for macro
300 f2.8 for sports/events/wildlife

24 f2.8 for street hyperfocal shooting

but I also use several zooms for flexibility..

Last edited by macropixman; 03-25-2009 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:46 PM
babyel's Avatar
babyel babyel is offline
Shutter Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Country:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionmystery View Post
My main lenses are all prime F2.8 ie my ex Tammy SP90 and my current MP-E65 LOL.

But when it comes to shooting event, still need a zoom like T17-50, my fave zoom.

how bout a 28mm f1.8 for event??.......
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:48 PM
orionmystery's Avatar
orionmystery orionmystery is offline
Shutter Demi-God
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: 39'26"N 10142'43"E
Posts: 9,209
Thanks: 16
Thanked 117 Times in 110 Posts
Country:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyel View Post
how bout a 28mm f1.8 for event??.......
On a FF or cropped sensor? Really not wide enough on a FF.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:48 PM
babyel's Avatar
babyel babyel is offline
Shutter Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Country:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
When i'm still in film photography, i had Nikon prime AF lenses such as 20/2.8D, 28/1.4D, 85/1.4D, 105/2.8D Micro, 135/2.8(manual), 180/2.8EDiF....now digital i shift to Canon....135/2L...but the 24/1.4L II and Sigma 50/1.4EX DG HSM are coming soon....Happy photography!!!


so do u feel that its very unconvenient when ur restricted??

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionmystery View Post
On a FF or cropped sensor? Really not wide enough on a FF.
on crop sensor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by macropixman View Post
hi..any particular reason you're asking users about their prime lenses?
i use Nikkors
50 f1.4 for low light night use
85 f1.4 for portrait bokeh
105 f2.8 for macro
300 f2.8 for sports/events/wildlife

24 f2.8 for street hyperfocal shooting

but I also use several zooms for flexibility..
ya..coz i'm considering letting go my zoom and go for prime...coz i'm a bokeh person...hehehe
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
orionmystery's Avatar
orionmystery orionmystery is offline
Shutter Demi-God
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: 39'26"N 10142'43"E
Posts: 9,209
Thanks: 16
Thanked 117 Times in 110 Posts
Country:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyel View Post
on crop sensor....
Not wide enough. At least 17mm for me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Yum Cha's Avatar
Yum Cha Yum Cha is offline
Shutter Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sg Petani-Butterworth-Pg
Posts: 263
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Country:
Restricted???...Mmm...depend...but my case ok...eventhough i'm a photojournalist style, still manage survive til today...

Ohhh..anyway not to confuse u, i do own zoom lenses too, but mostly i relied on prime...so u can say my zoom is backup lenses...

Last edited by Yum Cha; 03-25-2009 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-25-2009, 05:08 PM
babyel's Avatar
babyel babyel is offline
Shutter Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Country:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
Restricted???...Mmm...depend...but my case ok...eventhough i'm a photojournalist style, still manage survive til today...

r u on crop sensor too??....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[WTB] Canon Prime Lens 50mm f1.8 II davidhong85 Want to BUY 5 02-16-2009 07:22 AM
Prime example of marketing gimmicks, the Sony G-1 Crazymalaysian Chit-Chat & Off-Topic 8 01-30-2009 03:46 PM
Ultimate low light prime for DX cameras wyejon Nikon Equipment 26 01-22-2009 12:43 PM
WTB: Canon L prime lens chiunn Want to BUY 0 10-05-2008 01:54 PM
WTS MF 50 f/1.4 & 35 f/2 AIS prime lenses jameslow Want to SELL 13 09-13-2008 05:14 PM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Content and Design Copyright 2007-2013 Shutter Asia - All Rights Reserved
Inactive Reminders By Icora Web Design