Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Shutter Asia General > Feedback & Comments
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 04-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Shutter Starter

Fraudulent Sellers on Net

There has been some posts and threads from buyers who were conned by fraudulent sellers who displayed their ads on local web photography-related sites every now and then. Usually, the buyers would bank in their funds to the sellers' bank accounts despite maybe having made some prior checks on the sellers' sincerity. Yet, with all the checks and preliminary red flags, such incidents still occur. How could we collectively address this problem with some definite concrete solutions? The typical police reports, never buy from strangers, never bank into strangers' bank accounts have been heard so many times over. Is there not some other definite way we can nail down these culprits and ensure they are caught in order not to smear the credibility of other geniune sellers? Remember it's not practical to have a meet-in-person situation for every buy/sale transaction. We need to trust both the buyers and the sellers at some time. But it's usually the buyers who lose out most. At most, you get his name and bank account number and he's residing outstation. He can always replace his handphone number to avoid further calls after the scam. So, where do we go from here? Do readers have any real practical smart ideas apart from the usual response?
Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Shutter Fan

I guess there's not much you can do about this... Buyers and sellers just have to exercise extra precautions especially when dealing with somebody that you don't know...

Even dealing with somebody that you think you know, you may still get conned... So, ALL my dealings are strictly COD la...
Old 04-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Shutter Starter

If the seller is unknown to me, then strictly COD. Last 2 weeks got 1 fella from kuching wants to sell me a speedlite. Once I told him I will COD through a friend of mine in kuching, all communication ends .... sms/calls went unanswered ...

The only way to catch this kinda culprit is to arrange a sting operation with the police because if you sudah kena baru mau report, itu polis akan cakap "ini kes biasa .... ramai sudah kena ... u tak kenal sama orang pun mau bank in duit ka? "
Old 04-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Shutter Demi-God

Hmm....becoming very Singaporean now eh? Wife runs away, also need help from gomen .

It's like giving away your account and pin number to a stranger who claims he's from a bank, despite so many reminders on tv and radio telling you not to do so....
Old 04-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Shutter Council

Those who fall into the trap are normally those who are overwhelmingly excited to get that item and forgot to consider the risks dealing using methods other than COD. Yes, there are a few reputable online sellers and individuals, but there are always ways to purchase an item if COD is not the option.

Example, if the item is in Penang, ask a forum member/close friend who you know well enough to survey it or purchase it for you instead of banking in money to a stranger.

If that's not an option, then its up to you to take the risk. I won't.

A lot of reminders have been told to people, but there will always be those who fall into the trap of these conman, just because they get too excited about acquiring the item and didn't wanna pass on a good bargain without considering the possible consequences.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Shutter Fan

Fraudulent Sellers on Net

Members must be very careful with cheap offers especially from Sarawak as I have personally experienced what SHAHKZ encountered and also read many feed backs about members being cheated of money. My apologies to Sarawak members but its true.

Most of the fraudulent offers are from difficult to reach places, like Mukah, Sibu, Kuching or from overseas.

Always COD. Don't part with your money unless you have the item in hand.

Nothing in this world comes cheap!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Shutterfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmint View Post
Those who fall into the trap are normally those who are overwhelmingly excited to get that item and forgot to consider the risks dealing using methods other than COD. Yes, there are a few reputable online sellers and individuals, but there are always ways to purchase an item if COD is not the option.

Example, if the item is in Penang, ask a forum member/close friend who you know well enough to survey it or purchase it for you instead of banking in money to a stranger.

If that's not an option, then its up to you to take the risk. I won't.

A lot of reminders have been told to people, but there will always be those who fall into the trap of these conman, just because they get too excited about acquiring the item and didn't wanna pass on a good bargain without considering the possible consequences.
yea bro! strongly agree with you... since we got so many closed buddies throughout Malaysia, can always ask for a favor to COD instead...

Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Shutterfreak

Anyone buying through SA got conned?

When we spend more time on making money, we seldom have time realising our hobby

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43716731@N06/
Old 12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
New Shutter User

COD would be the best idea, but then its not 100% fool proof either. What if you buy something and it breaks a week later?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Shutter God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
COD would be the best idea, but then its not 100% fool proof either. What if you buy something and it breaks a week later?
That's a risk you take buying second hand, goes for any kind of goods including cars.

If you have a problem with that buy new.

Buying new is essentially the same, the only difference is you are paying for the warranty.