Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Gear & Technique > Other Systems & 3rd Party Lenses
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Shutter Starter

Question What is the different between a Compact SLR and a Mid-size SLR

Sifus, need some advice...

What are the differences between a compact SLR Canon 550D and a mid-size SLR Canon 7D? Both have the same megapixels same sensor size and almost have the same functions.

Of cause we know that the price for both difference about 3k, which camera should I go for and why?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Shutter Guardian

Have you tried it out? If you find there is no different, most properly it doesn't make any different between the camera. then the logical move is to choose the lower price camera.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Shutter Starter

Nope, haven't try yet but for me I'm not experience enough to know the difference. What does a mid size slr have that the compact slr doesn't?

I'm taking that both canon cameras for examples and I believe that there are more out there that have similar megapixes or to say some compact slr has more megapixes than a mid size slr. Why must we get a mid size than a compact size slr?
It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter, because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary.
David Bailey
Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Shutterfreak

Bigger/more expensive dSLR have usually
- faster shooting speeds (important when shooting stuff that moves)
- faster, more accurate AF with more options (important when shooting stuff that moves)
- write data faster to memory card allowing more images to be taken in short sequences ('bursts')
- larger and brighter viewfinders - much more comfy and easy to compose a shot
- more rugged construction
- batteries that allow for more shots per charge

All those factors at the end decide if you got a shot - or if you don't.

Of course there are situations where the cheap camera does as well as the expensive one. Like if you shoot a scenery, you got plenty of time, even set up the camera on tripod and close down aperture to f8 or so for best lens performance. In this case the result with a entry level dSLR with kit lens will be much the same as if shot with a 7D with a more expensive lens.
If you want to take a picture of a moto bike zipping by at 80km/h then there will be a difference; 7D superior camera functions will give you a much higher probability to get a good sharp shot.

MP says very little about a camera.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Shutter Starter

Well i think one of the very obvious difference is one can switch between lenses , and the other will only have a fixed lens.

Depending on what compact camera you're talking about. If its a very decent compact camera, you can live with it beautiful pictures to be produced and ways to capture them.

I think compact camera (especially decent ones) are the one people finally come to agree as a better camera. Because it is very convenient for casual photography and street photography. DSLR will be much better to be used in a studio shot professionally.

I'm using SLR and DSLR and I love using this gadgets as they provide great ways to capture photos but in the bad side, they're heavy and bulky ~~

You can try Lumix LX7 ? I've seen people using it, the picture quality is awesome, one main point is because the build in software giving great effects such as HDR...