Shutter Asia Forum  

Home Forum Shoutbox Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Shutter Asia Forum > Gear & Technique > Philosophy & Technique of Photography
Register Facebook Flickr Rules

Old 07-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Shutter God

Why do we charge so much?

Sometimes it's hard to justify to a client why you are charging what you charge..

But then there's a lot of cost involved, I was queried a while ago why I charge RMXXX for events but for a portrait shoot I charge RMXXXX which works out as more than the hourly rate..

I had to explain the cost of additional lighting, assistant, processing and selection time and so on.

This might help with explaining to clients:

http://www.caughtonfilmphoto.com/costofphotography.html
Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Shutter Starter

thanks for the link.

I too encountered similiar problem.

explaininig the technical stuff to the client doesn't help much when the client doesn't want to open his ears to at least understand.

"why do you charge RMxxxx while I can see RMxxx being offered by others"

*edit*
not to mention another factor. the newbies offering low prices or some doing it for free. owning a dslr can mean a pro photographer in the eyes of the client. at some point, the market is being spoiled.

Last edited by yuanann; 07-07-2008 at 03:30 PM..
Old 08-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Shutter Fan

Thanks for the link and good tips..
Old 08-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Serious Shutter

quality on photo taken / expertise / experience makes all the pro photog deserve to charge so much.<-- this is my answer when my friends or client ask me. am a newbie so I didnt deserve to charge that much not mean to spoil the market.

Summore i tell my client "if i had that expertise/experience & quality i wont charge you this cheap".
Old 08-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Shuttertastic

This is a good explaination. ppl only see how much time u spend on shooting them, never thought that the processing is alot more time consuming than photo shooting..
For most of us i believe we shoot raw, mk neccessary adjustment and convert to jpeg for best quality (thus more time consuming).
tho i do know some local photogs jz shoot event with jpeg and selectively crop with slight adjustment only...thus charge cheaper...
i saw some ads from internet-> RM400 for wedding photos with album.. really spoil d mkt..
Old 08-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Serious Shutter

RM400?? for how many shots?? hhmmm thats like Tawau (small town in sabah) price range but limited to 200 shots only. If in KL it consider damn cheap man. if just soft copy without print maybe workable i dunno, what do you guys think??

sifus.... could you give us (newbies) a price guidelines so that we didnt spoil the market that much

maybe can start based on region like Penang-KL-JB-sabah sarawak from RMxxx-RMxxxxx definitely the max price is for the Pro photogs, so the rest of photogs can put and vaue where there are to charge based on their expertise/experience/quality of work.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Shutter Fan

I feel sad that nowadays, consumers are always looking for "cheap and good". I personally do not wish to see photography becoming a dying trade. But, with so many affordable DSLRs flooding the entry level consumers' domain, it is very hard to not ignore the fact that everyone can be a wedding photographer for their friends', relatives' and co-workers' wedding. This phenomenon is slowly diminishing the value of paid photographer's who actually do this for a living. It seems like nowadays, the common public perception is that taking pictures are not that difficult anymore. Anyone can do it. Gimme that SLR and 'I can do it'! It ain't hard... my nephew can snap pictures on my wedding... arrghhh... That's the general perception.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Shutterfreak

Actually I think those who really lose out are the ones who charge a high price yet only provide a sub standard quality set of photos. They are the ones who suffer the most because their target market will be cannibalized by the newer photographers who have some talent/learn really fast but no exposure to the market. Eventually, those with talent will also charge a higher price because more and more people are seeking their services. Consumers can still see the difference between high quality and low quality shots...Those who provide low quality shots will not have the recommendation of their customers to others.

Those who charge a high price but provide a set of high quality photos will not suffer from the 'newbies who charge low and spoil market' phenomenon. They will still have their higher end market to cater for.

Last edited by karheng; 09-11-2008 at 05:47 PM..
Old 09-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Shutter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karheng View Post
Those who charge a high price but provide a set of high quality photos will not suffer from the 'newbies who charge low and spoil market' phenomenon. They will still have their higher end market to cater for.
You nailed my point right there. It is exactly what i wanted to say but I just couldn't figure what better words to use without sounding offensive. Really, the spectrum has gone even wider nowadays as we have the beginners, amateurs, semi-amateurs, semi-pro's, pro's, ... there used to be only one and you're either a photographer or you're NOT. One true fact is that today's amateurs are soooo bad they are making the pro's look even better!!!

No ill intentions here, I am not directing this sentiment towards anyone in specific.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Shutterfreak

hehe Glad to be of assistance..=P